Now a registered SuperDuper! user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wrldwzrd89, Apr 30, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I decided to switch to SuperDuper! from Carbon Copy Cloner (and registered it for $19.95). SuperDuper! is clearly the better program compared to CCC - it has more features and a more intuitive interface. Plus, it works with Tiger - I'm still not 100% sure if CCC works with Tiger or not.

2. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Im thinking of getting (registering) SuperDuper and I probably will now thanks to your review.

Cheers

3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I've been looking at CCC and Bombich's latest comment regarding an update for Tiger compatibility. http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html The freeware thing is still attractive and has worked well for me, anyway, with several backups and clonings over the years. Since I'm waiting for the release of 10.4.2 before I make the switch, I'll continue using CCC, but might consider SuperDuper when I make the transition to Tiger, especially if CCC delays with an update.
    X

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

SuperDuper is essentially freeware if you just want to use the cloning feature, the more advanced features, such as "Smart Update", requires registration. So clone away!

I wholeheartedly agree with wrldwzrd89, SuperDuper really is a great app.

5. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I agree that SuperDuper! is better too. I tried Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) but I found that I ended up with a drive that wasn't bootable way too often even though I set it to be bootable in the CCC preferences. With my frustration I tried SuperDuper! and I realized that not only did SuperDuper! copy more files on the hard drive but it also almost never failed at giving me a bootable hard drive. I think SuperDuper! has only failed with me once or twice as far as I can remember but CCC failed many times.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I just registered at the weekend too. Seems to work very well and smart update is just what I wanted :)

7. inlimbo macrumors 6502

It sux that you can only do cloning feature with the free version. I just wanna be able to backup my documents folder on my iPod so I need to register. But its on about $30AUD so thats cool. I dont mind supporting developers who make good software.

8. Switzermac macrumors regular

9. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hello everyone - I thought this thread was in the forum graveyard.

I still like SuperDuper. My favorite thing about it is the user interface. It's well designed and quite intuitive to use, like a Mac program should be. It even asks for confirmation before doing its work, which I think is a nice feature.

I also like the fact that you can get quite advanced with SuperDuper! if you start configuring the various preferences and cloning settings.

10. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Freeware:
    Copyrighted software given away for free by the author. Although it is available for free, the author retains the copyright, which means that you cannot do anything with it that is not expressly allowed by the author. Usually, the author allows people to use the software, but not sell it.

Shareware:
    Software distributed on the basis of an honor system. Most shareware is delivered free of charge, but the author usually requests that you pay a small fee if you like the program and use it regularly. By sending the small fee, you become registered with the producer so that you can receive service assistance and updates. You can copy shareware and pass it along to friends and colleagues, but they too are expected to pay a fee if they use the product.

Shareware is inexpensive because it is usually produced by a single programmer and is offered directly to customers. Thus, there are practically no packaging or advertising expenses.

Note that shareware differs from public-domain software in that shareware is copyrighted. This means that you cannot sell a shareware product as your own.

http://www.webopedia.com/