NOW everyone know itunes trick for SURE

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by abhishekit, Feb 19, 2004.

1. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

k..after umpteens threads on how to never lose while buying pepsi..its in the newspapers..high time..here

cheers

2. ratspg macrumors regular

3. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Can't quite figure out the purpose of the lapdog media's use of the word "hack" in this instance. Kind of reminds me how three dudes hanging out on a street constitute a "gang." So putting two and two together... If I go to the grocery store with 2 buddies and stakeout the bottle return area in hopes of encountering a septuagenerian carting 100 empty yellow-capped 20 oz pepsis, I am not only part of a "gang," but part of a "hacking gang." Although "hacking" entails the unauthorized access of an electronic system, it can also be performed with several wild Jim Morrison-esque swings of a hatchet.

As a result...

iTunes sneakpeak = hack
    3 guys = gang
    hack = hatchet
    Terror Alert Level = Brushed Aluminum

I need help. :D

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The article link says this: "The bottle cap loophole could disrupt Pepsi's ambitious marketing campaign, which kicked off with splashy TV spots that aired during the Super Bowl and also took a shot at file-swappers. "

Well, in reality this is EXACTLY WHAT PEPSI WANTS!!! THEY ARE GETTING SO MUCH FREE PRESS FROM THIS ON MESSAGE BOARDS AND THE ONLINE NEWSPAPERS NOT TO MENTION I AM SURE THAT TV ISN'T FAR BEHIND AS WELL AS PRINT.

Besides, no matter how many times we "cheat" they are not going to be giving away more songs as a result. They have X number of songs to give...they will all be "given away" (but not all redeemed I am sure) :cool:

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

PLUS, they are STILL SELLING PEPSI. I don't know what the big deal is here. Static number of winning bottles + Pepso sold=point of the campaign.

Regards,
    Gus

6. TommyLee macrumors regular

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Basically tilting the bottle and making out the shape of the words under the cap. It's been around as long as twist-off contests have... we used to do it in high school, hell even elementary, for more free pop. i don't know why it's getting so much attention now, except that it's something as popular as iTMS. i'm sorry, this kid may have figured it out on his own, but it's old news....

paul

8. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Simple solution. fill the bottle up just a bit more. Obviously not up to the cap otherwise you will get pressure problems but enough that you can't tilt the bottle to see what's under the cap.

9. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Didn't they used to turn that little plastic thing the other way around so people couldn't look into the bottle and see if they won?

10. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Win-Win

If Pepsi are being cheap by not topping up the bottles in the first place then they deserve to have this done on them by eager customers. In the short term they might end up buying more iTunes than they predicted but so what? People are drinking Pepsi and getting used to it.

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

well, sort of... but they'd sell more if people weren't leaving the losers on the shelves.

na gannadoit. wouldn't be prudent. i'm sure pepsi knows exactly how much cola to put in a bottle to turn the maximum profit. you start selling 12.1 ounce bottles, given the volume pepsi sells at, i guarantee your margin takes a huge hit. they'd change the shape of the bottle to make it thinner (and thus force the cola to a higher spot in the neck) before they added more product.

12. reorx macrumors member

Re: Win-Win

:D True, true... I can't stand Pepsi, probably all the years of chemical Pepsi-intolerance that CocaCola Co's feeding me... :D

13. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Not so surprising considered most people can't turn on a Mac. Another Cnet article could help though.

Wow, what an ingenius idea! So adding 0.1 oz. will dramatically impact Pepsi's revenue, but doing extensive R&D, coming up w/ a new bottle design, changing all the existing bottle molds, and making new bottle won't affect anything at all? *Applause*

14. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I may be wrong, but don't the codes on the Pepsi bottles not get activated until the store scans the UPC label? This would prevent people from writing down the codes from the inside of the bottles and using them... At least, unless they just kept trying the codes every few hours.

Plus, Apple has put a daily restriction to the amount of codes one can use, and a maximum of 200 codes per account. That means this 'hack' :rolleyes: won't cause too many problems. Most of the population doesn't even read Zdnet news or online news anyway, and most teens I know (the ones who buy the majority of Pepsi) could care less about any news.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You can only see that the bottle is either a winner or a loser, you can't see the code.

16. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Nope. Take a look at 2 bottles when you are next in a sugar water distributor. You will see that the UPC's are identical. The number on the UPC just tells the POS (point of sale) system what you are purchasing and the POS comes back with the product name and price. POS is in no way tied to the net, Apple, or Pepsi. Usually it's tied to a central company computer that handles new product distribution. (e.g. Blockbuster's HQ down in Texas.)

HEHE That reminds me of the Simpson's Episode where bart buys Al Gore's book and after scanning the book it sends gore a fax of the sale. :D