Now here's something that won't happen with a PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Ninja Viper, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Ninja Viper macrumors newbie

I am only 2 days old at Mac and this thing has got me ready to throw it out the Windows (<- hehe, bad joke). I burned a CD on my PC of emails that I want to import into Entourage. I put the CD in and the computer froze. You could hear it constantly scanning the disc, but not getting anywhere. 3 reboots later here I am. If I drag the CD icon to the trash it takes a while but does eventually dissapear, but the disc does not come out. Very frustrated, please help.

Mac Mini, OSX

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

to force eject the cd hold the mouse button down when you reboot

not sure what the problem could be with the disk though

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

that IS lame, and unusual. Do you have a Mac keyboard? If so, you can hold down the eject key right as you turn the Mini on, and hold it for a bit while it boots. oh yeah, or you can hold down the mouse while it boots.

4. Ninja Viper thread starter macrumors newbie

PC keyboard, anyone know what the apple button and option are?

5. mac-er macrumors 65816

The Apple key should be the equivlant of your Windows key and the Option key is the equivalent of your Alt key.

6. Ninja Viper thread starter macrumors newbie

The holding the mouse button thing caused it to completely freeze while starting. Takes about 10 minutes to boot to where I can actually use it. Is there an eject keyboard shortcut?

7. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

command - E is the eject command when the disc is selected. I fail to see why the disc doesn't eject if you hold the mouse button down during a boot.

What did you burn it with? I've had no trouble reading CDs burned in Windows.

Try this document.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=152226

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Instead of getting frustrated and trying all these things, you might want to make use of Apple's decent support. This appears to be something beyond a simple issue, that Apple would most likely take care of for you. It's possible you have a bad optical drive. Had you put any other CDs in it before this one?

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Unfortunately, as happy as I am with my switch to Mac, this is a problem that has really frustrated me as well. If a disc for whatever reason is unrecognized by the computer as being in the drive, it can be very difficult to get it out. Supposedly holding the mouse button down while booting will force an eject, but I've had several discs where this simply didn't work.

The following is supposed to allow you to truly force a disk to eject, although I've never tried it so I can't guarantee it will work. You have to boot into Open Firmware, which can be done by holding down Option-Command-O-F. Once you get to the Open Firmware prompt, type eject cd. In order to exit Open Firmware, type either mac-boot (to boot the machine) or shut-down (to shut the machine down).

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you can boot another reliable way of ejecting a CD is to open iTunes and use its Eject command.

Was the PC CD-R possibly a packet-written CD - the type where you can just keep dragging files onto it? For Mac compatibility with PC CD-Rs choose to do a Disk-at-Once burn instead.

11. IanC macrumors regular

If a disc ever refuse to work on my eMac, hitting Eject a few times normally works. (sometimes ia have to hold it down for a few secs though)

12. sigamy macrumors 65816

I've had the exact experience with a windows burned CD. For some reason some of my windows burned discs would not work in my Mac. Couldn't eject the disk no matter what. Only thing that worked was the Open firmware info above.

You may be able to read the CD on a Windows box. You'll have to try and burn it again.

Once you get past this issue you'll be on your way to much better things with your mini and Mac OS X.

13. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

14. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

15. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I'm guessing that the poster's CD burner is not set to burn in the universally recognized format (ISO whatever-it-is).

How much is a copy of Move2Mac these days.

16. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I've had disc read problems, holind the left click while booting has always popped the drive for me... I mean, it gives the command directly to your drive without reading the disc, so I have no clue why it wouldn't work...

17. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Does the Mini's drive have a "paper clip" eject hole?

18. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yeah I am with agathon he probably burned it in a unrecognized format. sorta funny how ppl blame the machine for user error.

19. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Aren't all CD's in CDFS format?

My thumb drives are in FAT format (making it readable by either OS). The only thing I have in NTFS is my boot/storage drives. Its for increased reliability and security.

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Toast will let you burn Cds in ISO 9660, CDFS, or even HFS+

21. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Well, I blame Microsoft for that too... ;)

If his burner was set to use a Windows only format that sucks. The default setting should always be the cross platform standard.

I guess it's weird to hear about problems like this. I never have problems. Mine just works... still. :)

22. cubist macrumors 68020

Most CDs are ISO-9660, but because that standard only supports uppercase filenames, etc., everyone has these "extensions" to ISO-9660. Microsoft's version of these "extensions" is called Joliet.

As some wag once put it, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

24. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

25. Ninja Viper thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I had to take it into the Mac shop in order to get it out. Basically they just used the holding the mouse button down while booting to get it out (must have done it differently than I, cause I did try that). My Windows PC burner must have really messed up cause when you look at the burn on the CD that got stuck in the machine you can actually see small rings where it seems the burner skipped or something.
    As for the burning it was done in CDFS but I used XP's built in burner to burn it which may have had something to do with it.
    I still dislike the fact that mu OS controls ejecting the CD's but I will learn to live with it.