Now HP says ditch Netscape

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 4, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

Yes, on HP-UX, the Netscape browser is years old. Is it a surprise that HP doesn't want it there?

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not a huge problem, Netscape causes a bunch of hairy furballs every now and then that stay around for awhile.

Mozilla is more up-to-date, usually.

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Amen to that. :D

6. macrumors 6502a

macridah

safari rocks. But if i was forced at gun point to use another browser on the mac, it would be firefox. Netscape has to much added junk to it.

7. sjk
    macrumors 6502a

Firefox is just too un-Mac-like for me after using Safari, OmniWeb, and Camino. 0.9.1 was miserable even after removing all prefs, e.g. the menu bar was missing after restarting and text input didn't work on forms.

8. macrumors 68040

shamino

And why is this news?

The most recent version of Netscape for HP-UX is 4.8. Don't believe me? See for yourself.

AOL/Netscape halted development on the 4.x code many years ago. All subsequent releases of Netscape (6.x and 7.x) are based on Mozilla. I guess seeing several major releases with no HP-UX support wasn't enough of a hint that they should start looking for a different browser.

Fortunately for HP-UX users, Mozilla is available for HP-UX. And if HP doesn't trust the contributed build, they can easily download the sources and compile their own build, just like Sun is doing for Solaris. (Sun also provides Solaris builds of FireFox