Now I know how the Windows people feel.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Feb 18, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Tonight, for the first time, I realized why some windows users dont switch and why they have a hard time doing it. Tonight I decided to put that installed version of Keynote to some use. I needed to make a presentation and got to use it for the first time. I felt pretty good about this considering I have masterd the ins and outs of PowerPoint. I opened Keynote and I didnt even know where to start. Very confusing for me at first (not saying its hard, its just i havent used it before). But then I once i figured out everything I loved keynote. So much easier to use now than powerpoint, everythign i layed out so much simplier. Now i kind of know how you windows people who switched feel. most of you didnt know it at first, learned it for a little while, and know love it. its amazing what apple can do, wow. if you guys plan on making prez's, go get keynote, lovely software.

iJon

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

just did a history presentation using keynote.
    Everyone said great powerpoint presentation you make great ones teach me you are god
    lol!

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

and thats when you whip out the apple handouts on the machines.

iJon

4. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Now I know how the Windows people feel.

Switching was one heck of an experience. i did so in november 2002... I was something of a windows expert then, but apple had sold me. i learned the ins and outs of OS X fairly quickly; i never had that moment of "i don't know where to start," but there were plenty of quirks, like how to name your computer (turns out it's under "sharing" or something). I think my experience was helped by a relative familiarity with Linux, but just the same, it's not a switch that i would want to make very often.

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

lol :D

6. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

I thought you weren't going to post anymore. :D

OS X was so easy to figure out. I've used Windows for years and still don't know how to do some things. OS X is so easy, but it helps to have used OS 9 first. Many of the programs are easy to use, but there is a tradeoff, some aren't all that powerful. Then again, many of the options in Windows apps are useless anyway.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Read the last 2-3 posts.

also, what things don't you know how to do in windows?

8. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Fix things.

edit: And software/hardware installation is a bitch, especially when it won't boot afterward.

P.S.-It's Win98, if that says much.

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i hear you, lol. touché. i thought you meant like, some feature (not including "working right" ;))

10. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

How'd you know I was a fencer?

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

male intuition?

12. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

I, as well, have been using Powerpoint for the bulk of my computing life, and I too was a bit confused when first using Keynote. The most confusing to figure out was the two panels for Text and Fonts. Now, in classic Apple style, I would have thought the two to be the same, but they aren't. I think they should be combined, personally. Keynote comes close to the mark in terms of usability, but some things are weird (like text/fonts). I realize that this is a 1.0 release, and I look forward to all the new options to be included (hopefully) and the updates.