Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Insanely Great Mac just posted an article about who's upping their pc prices.

NEC, Sony and Trigem Computer say they are raising prices for the first time in at least five years in order to keep pace with the higher cost of chips and other parts, according to a Bloomberg report.

http://www.insanelygreatmac.com/news.php?id=220

Apple, always the trend setter.....:D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
those two companies will have to follow suit most likely...so what else is new in this biz?

i could see dell keeping the prices the same due to their leverage and big money...frequent repairs (i was a dell next day tech in first IT job) does not scare the pc crowd who is so used to high maintenance machines and dell's big gains in education further reinofrces that dell will one day become the "microsoft' of the hardware world

i had dell clients who were seeing an onsite tech for their third time in one year!

in the meantime, i will enjoy my mac and not have to worry about frequent "repairs":D

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I don't think I would want to be the trendsetter when it comes to raising prices. The first to do it will always receive the most grief, while those that do it after can slip by without comment.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Lets all just be happy that the iMac is now shipping in "large" (well supposivly) quantities. The price hike wasn't Steve's best move in my opinion, but we can all learn to live with it. Besides iMacs are full of joy, smile at you with their optical drives and are quiet and 100% quality (unlike Dell).

kevinibook

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Geneva ,Switzerland
The first to do it will always recieve the most grief

Apparently the neither Apple shareholders nor the brokerages (u can see this in their (UBS WB) press realease the day after SJ raised the price) are happy about SJ raising the price on the iMac.:rolleyes:

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Originally posted by kevinibook

Apparently the neither Apple shareholders nor the brokerages (u can see this in their (UBS WB) press realease the day after SJ raised the price) are happy about SJ raising the price on the iMac.:rolleyes:

As long as i'm happy, everything is fine...

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I think the most worrying part about that article is the claim that "the market is almost saturated". With the huge advance in computing power that we've seen in the past few years, i doubt many consumers will be upgrading for a long time. That could drive prices even higher. Not good :(

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
some months back, taiwan had another major earthquake and ram prices went up again...predictably

but now they have just gone back down and my neighbor bought 512 MB ram for two hundred when it was up fifty percent higher right after the earthquake...he just waited a couple of months and down the price came

last time i checked the lcd imac is still one hundred higher and i wonder if that has anything at all to do with the taiwan earthquake

individually speaking, the lcd imac is the best deal (dollar for dollar) that apple has to offer

if i had a school and had a lot of school children poking at my delicate lcd screen, i would opt for the more ruggged and cheaper emac

but otherwise, the lcd imac is such a great deal...i hope apple brings the price down again...we wouldn't want any first-timers going out and buying a dell or gateway due to the price

in the long run, it would be great to eventually see the imac at $999 for the base model

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jefhatfield
...in the long run, it would be great to eventually see the imac at $999 for the base model
Indeed, I think it would be a great thing for the iMac to come in at a clean $999/£999, people are, on the whole arrogant when it comes to computers and I think that walking into a store where PCs and Macs were side by side, then to see the fantastic LCD iMac with that price tag hanging beneath of under $1000/£1000 may help push people towards the Mac, along with the stunning design of course.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by Macmaniac
A thousand dollar iMac would be stripped down, small HD, and maybe a CDRW, I don't think we will see one for a long time. There is no point stripping it down.

a couple of years ago, a 15" flat panel lcd was a thousand

with technology going the way it is, we will see a sub-thousand dollar imac without it being stripped down...but maybe not this year though

who thought there would be any imac at 799 usd?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.