Now officially 68 teams - CBS-Turner reach deal to broadcast NCAA tournament.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Tilpots, Apr 22, 2010.

1. macrumors 601

Tilpots

CBS-Turner reach deal to broadcast NCAA tournament

Glad it's not 96 teams. That would've really watered down the greatest tourney played every year. Having 4 networks will be a lot different, especially for those without cable. Luckily, the last line says "All games will still be available online." Phewww!

2. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I am also glad they aren't going to 96 or 128 teams. I am certainly not the first to say it, but I echo those who are baffled that they want to tweak the tournament that is working perfectly, that everyone loves, and are so resistant to adjust how the football championship is decided, which doesn't work perfectly and which no one seems to like.

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I am also glad they didn't increase the number of teams to 96 or even more. What is the point of the tournament if everyone is in it?

4. macrumors 68000

4 opening round games to decide seed 16 in each bracket.

pretty big win for Turner.

5. macrumors Core

MacNut

The cool thing is that all the games will be live.

6. macrumors 6502a

jzuena

It makes sense that all four brackets should have a play-in for the final seed.

7. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Of course the one network I watch is over run during the winter with basketball games. I was glad last year to hear ESPN taking over the broadcast rights of the SEC from Raycom, but they still aired them on CBS through the SEC Network. At least CBS airs (most of) the games online, for free.

8. macrumors 601

But I wonder if there will stlll be "bonus coverage" during halftimes, blowouts, etc.

I discovered some "parallel broadcasts" on my local CBS channel.3 (This TV) so I wasn't stuck with whatever game was on the main CBS feed. You get those .X channels through the digital converter box. I don't think that cable or satellite systems have them. My satellite company doesn't.

9. macrumors Core

MacNut

I think it will depend on who owns producing rights. Will this still be a CBS sports production just split over 4 networks or is Turner sharing in the producing. The live look in would still be in play I would think.

Also what happens to the DirecTV feed. They simulcast all the games, but now with it being spread on 4 networks is there a need for DirecTV.

According to wiki, home market games will be on CBS and the other 3 networks will carry the swing games.

10. thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

Interesting. At least for next year, I don't think much will change in production or on air talent. CBS is still the top dog for the next few years and already has the infrastructure in place. They'll probably use next year as a testing and exploratory phase.

Then the in the following years, the questions become:

Does the on air talent change?

Do the Director's change?

Will Turner and CBS provide multiple graphics or come up with a brand new universal look?

Will Jim Nance keep his position as THE Man?

It's all really interesting and I'm wondering how it will all shake out. I hope it's a good thing, but it's hard to mess with perfection. I think CBS has done a bang up job with the Tourney and would hate to see it get ruined in a broadcaster's pissing match.

11. thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

68-team tournament approved

12. macrumors 6502a

donga

does that mean we could see a potential 16 over 1 upset? one of them mid majors could get lucky

13. macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I was going to forsake the NCAA Tournament if they went to 96 teams. This is at least passable. But if they think this is going to "fix" things they'll be disappointed. All this is just a another addition to their money pot.

14. thread starter macrumors 601

Tilpots

It'll happen one day, but probably not because of this arrangement. The good mid-majors usually get higher than 16 seeds. The 16th seed is usually a small conference champion that didn't finish first in the league.

What are you suggesting needs to be "fixed?" The tournament, aside from minor seeding issues, is about the most perfect tournament ever created, imho.