Now or Later for a new cell phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Jul 30, 2006.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

As I discussed in a thread here earlier, I am planning on purchasing a phone from T-Mobile. I was wondering if deals will be better after the back-to-school rush? If so, when will that stop? I have my eye on a PEBL and it was $99 earlier this summer but bumped back to $149 a few weeks ago.

Thanks!

2. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

well, unless you're a girl, the pebl is ****
    you should really go for a sony-ericsson
    much better
    as far as the price goes,why not get it free with a contract?

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I think the PEBL's cool, and yes, I have a pair of testicles.
    T-Mobile doesn't have any Ericsson's, so that's not an option.
    And don't I have to pay for the phone when I sign up anyway?

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Always wait unless you need it desperately now or you get some sweet deal.

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

After the confirmation of an upcoming Apple phone during the 3Q financials meeting, I would at least wait and see what it turns out to be. A phone that works really well with a Mac would be an attractive thing indeed.

I also can't imagine that Apple would leave out Wifi, which opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities...like free calls.

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what I'll probably do. My dad's VZW contract is up in about two weeks, it would be cheaper to switch the both of us onto a family plan rather than pay for my VZW phone for another year. Maybe I'll get it for my birthday in September :eek: , or when I leave the country again which will probably be November-December.

I think the PEBL is the perfect choice for me. It has all the features I need: Quad Band Global Phone, Text & IM, and a camera. The only that fit my criteria are the RAZR, Samsung t609, t809, and T-Mobile SDA. Those Samsungs are quite fugly, and the RAZR is too common for me, and I prefer Motorola's OS to the SDA's Windows Mobile 5.0.

But do phones generally drop a little after all the kids get their phones for school? I can get it pretty much whenever. I'm willing to pay $175 to cancel my Verizon phone. It's just had terrible service the last few months!

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

you should call and find out when their new lines of phones will be released. if its worth waiting... i would

8. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Will they tell me? At the Apple Store, you don't dare ask about unreleased products, or will this be different?

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

it will be different. they will tell you. verizon told me the new phones come out in october, so that is when i got my new phone last year. i waited until october and got the new mp3 phone when it was cool last year

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Moto just released a whole lotta hot new phones, so I would say wait. When these drop, even if they are too expensive, you should see a PEBL price drop, since it is last-gen.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

why do you want t-mobile? verizon is much much better. if you're having problems with service, update your phone by dialing *228 and then choose option 2. i have never lost a call on verizon where there was an expectation for great service (obviously my basement doesn't get good reception and i've lost calls while down there - but you get the point).

anyway, my friend just switched from t-mobile to verizon and said it was one of the smartest choices he and his family have made regarding cell phones.

if only verizon would allow use of the sim cards...

12. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

OK, I just e-mailed Customer Care. Hopefully they will respond with a good answer. I'd hate to buy another phone again at the tail end of it for sale like I did last August with my Verizon phone.

13. iShane macrumors 6502a

Same here. Verizon is great. My friend switched from Cell One to Verizon and they love it. Your software probably needs updated.

14. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Verizon is terrible out here! I never get three bars or above! Plus, I travel internationally a ton, and T-Mobile's deals and Verizon's deals can hardly be compared! Plus, I need more text messaging and IM and my Verizon phone's been terrible! Everytime I log into AIM, it tries and logs me into MIM! T-Mobile works everywhere I want: Denver, the Bay Area, NYC, Santa Fe, and even Vail, which is surprising because nobody works in Vail! I'm tired of VZW's crappy phones with the same crappy OS and crappy service.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Motorola phones suck. Get an unlocked Sony Ericsson off eBay.

16. iShane macrumors 6502a

Really? I loved my RAZR V3c. Too bad I dropped it. Now a LG VX8100 is on its way.

17. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I don't think Motos are that bad. Anything's better than my current Samsung A670. I would kill for a Sidekick -- it has everything I could totally use -- but it doesn't have the reason why I'm switching -- quad band.

18. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

well, whatever works for you is what you should go with. i've never heard anyone say t-mobile gives them better coverage than verizon, though. and i think their phones aren't as nice as other providers, but they are starting to bring in some variety. good luck and i hope you get everything you want and need!

19. Timepass macrumors 65816

Some areas Verizon just sucks. Verizon is more than likely loosing over a mil a year because of Texas Tech alone. Every year income freshman come here with verizon phones and they learn very quickly that there voice mail and text messaging will not work, moble internet will not work and it is flaky at best. As soon as there contract expirse they all switch over to cinglar or sprint (the 2 big ones here . T-moble is not much better here). I know several people who wised up and nailed verizon for breach of contract and where able to end there contract with them with no earily termiation fee (they state it works find in lubbock texas and they have proof other wise). At about 100 buck a month per family that a 1200 per year per family and more than likely each year they lose anohter 100-1000 contract because of there lack of coverage here. And tha lose is a perminat lose that builds every year since chance are those people will never go back to verizon. It = about 5 times lifetime cost.

20. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Sprint is actually the carrier with the best coverage here in Denver, but I need something that works interenationally, can IM, and has cool phones (not those joke LG ones VZW has.) At first, I was excited to get Verizon hearing that it was great, but somewhere between the salesman telling me to get the more expensive phone instead of the "girly" one I picked out and the phone constantly going in and out of service, I realised that I could be happier with my choice. When I borrowed my aunt's T-Mobile phone for a few weeks for my vacation, everything felt right: great service, great plans, and great coverage around the globe. It worked in Los Angeles, Taipei, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and even in the Angkor temples in Cambodia! I even used it here a few days after the trip. T-Mobile just feels right for me, and has everything I need from my cell phone, but never have gotten from Verizon or Sprint.

21. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

22. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

They replied and all they told me was that the new Nokia 6030 is coming out in September replacing the 6010. I replied asking about the KRZR, RIZR, and FONE, and I also decided to ask if they have a new Apple phone coming out.