Now Spymac can really kiss my arse

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by edesignuk, Nov 9, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I click my bookmark ( to go and take a quick look around the oh-so-slow Spymac galleries, and look what now welcomes you when you first visit the site, a bloody great sales pitch :mad: :rolleyes: Same thing happens if you go to the front page. It only seems to come up when you first visit, and if you leave, but don't close your browser it will not be there if you go back again. But if you quit your browser then go back you will be greated by it again.

Spymac have now totally gone down the comercial pan.

edit: oh, and btw, we need to arrange to hunt down the dude "modeling" the shirt and wipe that grin off is face ;) :D

Attached Files:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Are they doing the ads the same way the nytimes has been doing the ads?

Which hijack your screen every now and then for an ad -- before sending off to the link you clicked.
  3. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
  4. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Yeah I thought the same thing when I went there today, as if their website isn't slow enough...ugh
  5. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I hate when that happens.
    Or when something is flying on your screen, like a giant kite.
    Those animated ads that hijack the screen are out of control!
  6. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Didn't get the ad screen for me but I've stopped visiting SpyMac a loong time ago.

And yes I hate those animated adverts, makes me vow to never buy the product that's being advertising. Had an odd situation on another website awhile ago, where the page would never render correctly in Safari when a Microsoft Office banner came up. If it was any other ad then the page would render fine, if it was Microsoft's turn then I would have to use Firefox...conspiracy I tell you! :eek: :p
  7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    edesignuk - I like the bookmark that is labled 'General Piracy'. :D
  8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    ;) :D
  9. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    Just gone to Spymac and the first thing it brings up is that ad :D

Thats before getting to the actual Home page :rolleyes:

Doesn't feel like Spymac anymore, oh well
  10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands

Till about a year ago (?) SpyMac was a decent contributor to the Mac-Rumors & Scene world.

What happened?

Did they hire a marketing bloke? Are they so in debt that they have to advertize every inch available on their site????
    Jeez! :confused: :mad:

I used to check out their site on a daily basis.
    There are a couple of things I do (and did) every morning:
    1) Drink coffee
    2) Check out
    3) Check out
    4) Check out
    5) Check out
    6) Take a cr@p

Well, delete # 5)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    When they made the switch into a for-profit money making business, I said this was a possibility... that they may go overboard in the revenue boosting side, at the expense of the clients.

It's a path that many businesses take, unless they follow the customer first model instead. Which doesn't make the investors as happy, but it does help keep a happy client base growing.

The ads are everywhere because they're trying to squeeze every penny out they can.

And it CAN get worse, think along the bank and cable company models.

There's a lot of money that they haven't even started going after yet -- a $1-10 a month here, there, and everywhere.
  12. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    It wouldn't be so bad if their core content was good once you got through the garbage. But their rumors have always been iffy, and as edesignuk says, the gallery has always been slower than watching the grass grow. Maybe they'll take all this ad revenue and buy a newer server. I've got a PM 9500 I'm not using - I'll bet its 200MHz 604e would be a huge upgrade over their current Quadra 650. (Oh wait, maybe they're still using that IIcx they got at the yard sale last year)
  13. iJoe macrumors member

Oct 14, 2004
    I used to spend a lot of time at Spymac. This just helps confirm that I made the right choice in sticking around here instead.
  14. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    hehehehe anyone want a tasteless spymac pullover for christmas?!?

whats that i hear? giggling and laughter? surely not! :D

way to sell out in the worst possible way
  15. Doga macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2003
    Near Montréal, Canada
    Yup, I got the ad screen when I went to the site out of curiosity, after seeing this thread. Pathetic and annoying.

I used to like Spymac but I stopped visiting the site last year after the changes. Sure it may have its fans but to me it's a pile of dung. Can someone please explain where the "spy" is in Spymac, especially these days?

MacRumors, on the other hand, is as terrific as it's ever been. But we know that. Yes we do.
  16. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    This is about as low as I have ever seen a mac site fall.

Never liked the Spymac theme. Can not imagine someone would think enough of it to place it on luggage and glasses.

What are they thinking? :eek:
  17. PCheese macrumors member

Aug 9, 2004
    Hmm, as far as I know they don't offer RSS feeds...

But that's expected after all, they would lose oh-so-much money if people used aggregators rather than viewing their ad-filled site...
  18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
  19. el greenerino macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Actually those bags wouldn't look half-bad if they didn't have the spymac logo plastered everywhere. Too bad, I'm just using a sleeve and backpack for my ibook...

Hideous design, rude forum-goers, and their overtly biased editorials give mac users a bad name. Why support Spymac?
  20. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    Spymac's been a joke ever since they added the 1GB email. The community's almost evaporated since then, and it's being kept alive by a few trolly spammers.

It's amusing that they initially launched their products as an exclusive range, but now they're more than likely overstocked with a pile of overpriced stuff, the prices are affordable.

The Spymac appreciated by so many disappeared a good while ago. The eventual demise will not be past time.
  21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'm with the others here. Spymac has really lost it, big time! I don't even have it bookmarked anymore. I hope MR never turns the same way...
  22. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    I never did like spymac (their website always seemed buggy and OTT to me)

well, it'll be interesting to see how long they last..

23. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    As I recall, they've always been commercial, or they were from early on, but they have gone all out - you're right. What a pity.
  24. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    It just gets worse :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

25. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Spymac forums are just plain lousy.

You get alot of those smoking smiley-only posts. Those drive me nuts. They just do it to get high post counts, so they can become Detective or some **** like that.

Spymac mods should get rid of all that ********... its stuff like that that I don't bother posting comments or posts of any significant nature. I deleted Spymac from my bookmarks. That site has become overladen with useless drab graphics and cheesy sales pitches.

I think the only redeeming quality of Spymac is the presence of JuicyApple, but that's about it.