Now that Panther is out what's next?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by movabi, Oct 28, 2003.

1. movabi macrumors member

Jul 24, 2002
    Iowa City, IA
    So Panther is out. What can we expect next? Speculative, I know, but maybe a forum for what user's want would be good for Apple to see.
  2. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    burlington, Ontario canada
    well im getting panther tomorrow

but one thing.. i want is a better file preview in the finder..

something super fast and that can preview almost any type of file.

at a decent size..
  3. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2003
    I think Apple will release a small device, not much bigger than the iPod that will handle full video and games, maybe incorporate PDA qualities without being a "PDA" I also believe that Apple will jump the G5 within the next month or two, possibly going to quad processors due to the lower cost of the G5 process. Apple will start offering a movie version of iTunes, that would be awesome, the full digital hub...

These are my speculations, some from word of mouth and others in my dreams...
  4. kryten2000 macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2003
    iLife improvements.It would be nice to see some photoshop type filters in iPhoto and maybe some later tools. A little closer to photoshopelemets.Some color correction tools in iMovie would be sweet too.
  5. adamfilip macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    burlington, Ontario canada
    um.. i dont think so..

quad g5's no.. i dont see that ever happening.

i think apple will release new g5 xserves.
    also maybe an update to the g5 powermacs...dual 2.5 or something before prob in jan
  6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    What I want

1.6 GHz G5 17"widescreen iMac with 64MB Radeon 9600 graphics in January 2004. Incremental upgrades to 1.8 GHz G5 and 128MB Radeon 9600 in May and 2.0 GHz G5 in September.

For MacOS 10.4 I would like to see even better security and stability. The only new feature I want is the ability to fully customize the appearance of the Aqua interface.
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    I think we will see bumped up g5's and a new imac or consumer mac with G5 and lets hope ati's 9600 or 9800 and with or without monitor,1 or 2 pci slots and holds 4 gigs of ram, then a molded all in one LCD emac. anychance of apple doing this?
  8. tom.96 macrumors regular

Jun 13, 2003
    UK (southern)
    I'm hoping its going to be a G5 imac! Either that or a price reduction in the current imac range given the emac price cuts. So I'd reckon (in UK pricing) on £899 for the 15" and about £1299 for the 17" models at present.

I would like to see a G5 1.6 and 1.8 Ghz imac range, with a good video card. I think a 'gamers' imac would sell well, I'd consider buying one, especially if it had something like a 128mb Radeon 9600. The new Nvidia graphics cards as on the extreme tech site also look pretty good. To be honest, the thing I'm most interested in is the graphics card, any G5 would be fast enough for me! I would buy the G5 PM but its beyond my budget!

Also, while I'm at it, more opportunities for RAM expansion in imacs (maybe two rather than one empty slot) would be nice.
  9. Manatee macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Washington DC
    I'm looking forward to a G5 Powerbook

And then the upgrade to Ocelot, or whatever cat is next.
  10. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Re: What I want

Amen to that! I'm tired of this "brushed metal". I want frosted glass! Marble! Teak!
  11. nacl99 macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2003
    Re: Re: What I want

I think Customizing GUI is a place for 3rd parties NOT apple.

Apple needs to set standards for GUI in OSX, that is not possible when you put in "customizations".

GUI Standards are good, its what makes the Mac not XP with every third party making programs that look different, and interface different.

But hey maybe its just cause I like Brushed metal better then Aqua.
  12. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    Apple can still market their metal look or whatever else they want for the default appearance. Adding the capability to customize the appearance to each users liking will not detract from the value of the default appearance for the GUI at all. In fact both Apple and third parties could sell premade theme packs just as MS did with Plus. Anyways, many users will probably still use the default interface that Apple shoves down our throats if they happen to like it.
  13. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    what about a dual G4 imac, I think if they had a G5, they might hurt the sales of the powermac, but if they offered a dual G4, that would entice sales. Plus, a lot of the benchmarks I've seen show that a dual G4 beats the single G5 in a lot of the tests. I would also like to see a dual G4 powerbook. That would probably be a little easier to do than to make the G5 that heat efficient. Plus look at the marketing Apple could do... "First dual processor in a notebook!", everyone else would try to beat that, but they couldn't. The only processor capible of being s dual system is the xeon, and Athlon MP, and they're not in notebooks... this would be awesome for apple...

Does anybody know the code names for 10.4, 10.5, etc...?
  14. kuyu macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2003
    I think the next OS, either 10.4 or 11.0 will incorporate full 64-bit software. The powermac's are still held back a bit by the software, and a native 64-bit OS would make them scream. However, before this can happen the G4 will have to be completely phased out. Probably about this time in 2005 we can expect the G6 at 60 or 90 nanometers, with IBM's new cell processor technology incorporated, and G5's in all the consumer lines. Then OS 11 will be released. Then all of us with G4's will have to upgrade systems to upgrade OS's, but by then the G4 will seem antiquated anyway. The G6 is definately going to be faster than any intel or amd chip by a longshot. Apple can't afford to just be as fast, they need to be a TON faster.

Watch for Apple market share to increase dramatically by 2006.
  15. Panther Blue macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2003
    US of A
    Y'all really think they'll go to 11 that quickly? I don't know what apple has in store, but I think it's going to be a LONG time before that.
  16. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    Well, I'm thinking a bit more's what I want to see at MWSF:

iPhoto: iPhoto needs to be more stable, much faster, and include more photo-editing capabilities. Printing greeting cards and calendars thru the Kodak print service would be nice too.

iMovie: Needs improved titling (LiveType Lite?), 3D objects as transistions, fix for A/V sync issues, improved performance.

iDVD: More themes--give 5 or so free for existing users and 12 more for a small fee. Easier way to create motion buttons. Support external burners? (I actually don't want this becuase this is the reason I went out and bought an iMac w/ Superdrive!!!) Support for +R/+RW.

iTrack: Soundtrack Lite. Integrate score markers with iMovie and/or FCE. Include 1,000 - 2,000 loops. Price at $99. I'd buy this today.

20th Anniversary iMac: could this be the radical new form factor that we've heard about? I'm not a designer so I won't even guess at what they'll come up with.

Headless eMac/iCube: come on Apple! Take an eMac and cut out the monitor and sell it for $499. yeah, right.

eBook: The G4 iBook shocked me. I guess elementary school kids will benefit from the G4 in iMovie but I still think there is a nice market for a 1ghz G3 eBook. Maybe that new G3 will end up in the iTablet?

10.3.1: Can I please have the ability to cut & paste a file in the Finder?!

17. Ajmbc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2003

I think Apple is running out of cat names. :eek: :p :D