Now this is a desk!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iJon, Jan 11, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Hey guys, i saw this desk and my jaw dropped. I thought this was the coolest desk I have ever seen. I have already contactet them to find out what needs to be done to get one at my parents reseller for our 17inch iMac.
    http://www.igo4mac.com/

iJon

2. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I'm sorry, but I think that it's plain ugly. It's so ugly it's fugly.

Sure it's nice that you can roll it around to where ever you are, but it still looks ugly. And it's very expensive as well.

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

thats cool, we are all entitled to our own opinions. i just think the imac is a work of art and goes well with a desk that is a work of art as well.

iJon

4. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I think you are ugly...

That desk is gorgeous though!

5. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

the desk is rather nice. not really practical in a home. It would be good for showing it off, or a booth/terminal thingy that was accessible to people in things like QANTAS Club.

Basically it really isnt targerted at the home market. Mainly at the upper-buisness market for customer/client use.

anyways, thats what i think

6. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

yeah considering there isnt much room to put my dr pepper cans all over the place.

iJon

7. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

it's a cool desk, way too expensive, and i kinda like a big desk to throw crap on, room for printer, iSub, and papers

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Compared to the rest of the "iMac-style" desks, I'd say this one is the closest-fitting to the iMac's style. I like it.

9. Will Jones macrumors member

First impression isn't good. But it may be something that could very well grow on me. It's kinda cool.

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It looks like a naked Dalek!

...sort of

why would anyone want something that wierd looking ?

It's not even practical, where would you find the space for something like that if you already have a desk ? You can't exactly put firewire drives and other external peripherals anywhere on the desk so it's just style (if you could call it style) over function.

11. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

and your telling ne that isnt how alot of the computer market views macs??

12. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I cant imagine using that desk everyday, it is very... well, stupid.

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

That's how I've viewed macs since that let that johnathan Ive bloke loose on the design of the whole range. iBooks, Powerbooks and iPods are incredible though.

What's user friendly about having no powerkey on the keyboard and having to push a powerbutton on the case when you're already sitting in front of the keyboard ?

Why have no eject buttons on the case, you only need to be near the front of the case when you're using the optical drives, ejecting from the keyboard is the dumbest idea in the world, especially ejecting EVERY mounted removable drive at the same time ?

These are really, really stupid design decisions effecting the basic usability of the platform that only a grade A moron would defend.

They could do to put at least 1 firewire and USB port on the front of the towers too.

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

my tower sits on the floor. for me to reach down is annoying, i have to do it on a pc. i have an under-desk kb draw. so to get there i have to push it in, press the button and pull it out again. on my apple, i push the eject button to get my SD or optn-ejct and get my second optical.

now what you are talking bout is when you press it on its own it firstly unmounts all of the removable media dmg files on your desktop.

i do not like the absence of a poweer button on my kb however. all i would want it to do is mirror the function of the one that is on the case.

we dont need ports on the fron of our case, they are on our keyboard, where we are much more likely to have our hands that will use that device.

and as for firewire, i have been waiting for apple to release a USB/firewire combined keyboard. but, fwire is only used for external drives and DV.

i have a cable that hangs around my hub for that DV cause i use it that much.

the design work for me.

15. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Good comeback :rolleyes:

It's about as pretty as a Jackson Pollock painting, which means it's SUPER ugly.

iJon: I respect your opinion and realize that certain people like certain things, I'm just not one of the ones who like this one. To each their own.

16. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

If you look at the pics on their website, they are promoting the desk as just a way of making your iMac mobile. So instead of picking up by the neck, you'd just roll it around (still needs oto be close to an outlet to plug it in, though).

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

okay you can call it ugly all you want, but there is a market for kiosk desks, which this fits nicely, so yeah it's not meant mostly for general home usage. Rather museums, galleries, technology institutes, the list goes on. But i could see it having practical home applications, too. i'm actually trying to figure out how to rearrange my office to accomidate this guy. They paid a lot of attention to detail when they made it, like the chrome legs being as thick as the monitor arm...

i think it's quite lovely :) Altho they could have added one more shelf for peripherals, it's a balance of aesthetics and functionality...

:)
    pnw

18. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Yeah i know what you mean. I kind of like having the eject key on the keyboard. the power button i dont miss anymore because i have a studio display monitor which turns on the computer as well. for you people who want the powerkey back, there is a product you can add to your keyboard, it is a usb powerbutton. i can remember who makes it, if no one on this server knows what im talking about ill try to find the link. it is actually pretty neat.

iJon

19. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I like mine better. Brushed aluminum and sandblasted glass.

Attached Files:

20. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

How can you not like Pollock? Everyone and their mom does nowadays I think.

21. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

pollock may have "come in" more lately, but he's still reguarded as one of the most over-celebrated over-hyped hacks of his time. But then, so is rothko, and i love rothko. and i like some of pollock's work too :)

pnw

22. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Yeah Pollock gets slammed a lot, and yeah he was a bit full of it, but his work still comes closest to true action painting. If you understand why action painting is so great, then you'll see why Pollock is so important.

23. Liamcow macrumors member

WHOA! where did you get that desk brained?!?!?!
    I love it, my powerbook and 17" apple monitor would go very nice on a desk like that i need space and style, not a fold-up supply table...Did you build it? or is it online?!?! omg that's sweet

24. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

If you look at the front of the desk, the legs are closest together in the front. Which means I would constantly hit my knee and legs on the dumb legs.

Attached Files:

25. szark macrumors 68030

szark

It's a nice looking design, but needs more space (as others have pointed out).

Here's the ultimate overkill in desk design:

Poetic Technologies' Aura

Attached Files: