Now this is insane! Iran has gone too far!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Black&Tan, May 19, 2006.

1. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They also have banned satellite dishes. Wouldnt want anyone hearing anything but the state propaganda.

3. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...and here's a different link:

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=11fbf4a8-282a-4d18-954f-546709b1240f&k=32073

It really sounds as if the President of Iran is forcing a confrontation with the western nations. This issue has been bogged down in Parliament for years and he has pushed it through, and is now waiting on approval from Iran's Supreme Guide.

I have a feeling Israel would not stand for this! According to the news site, there are almost 25,000 Jews living in Iran.

How soon before the US is in Iran?

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like the same thing Hitler did to the jews in the late 30s.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I think maybe the U.S. should sit this one out for a change. Let someone else play world police this time.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It would be nice but No One will. Sad but the true, World Police because no one else will. Those in Power allways will become corrupt if there arent any check & balances. Islam is running Iran and if you arent a Muslim then you are a infidel.

7. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I agree somewhat. We should not take the lead on this, it should be an international outcry. Sadly, we have a cowboy for a president who feels he is an agent of God. How long before he acts....

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

9. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Yeah, sit this out and let everyone in the world villify the US for NOT getting involved - damned if you do damned if you don't...so why bother...Iraq is enough of a nightmare...

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

So would you be OK if we sit this one out and let someone else take the lead?

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Bingo.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Possibly a slight over-simplification. There are other choices between going in with guns blazing and sitting back doing nothing.

13. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I don't think we have the resources to take the lead. I'm also afraid that if we go into another Middle Eastern country, we would inflame the entire region. How would that play out?

I'm not saying we should avoid any involvement, far from it. Just that we should not be the dominant military presence if it goes that far.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

How about phasers on stunn?

15. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Like what, foreign policy :p The US is the laughing stock in that department - the UN is just about pointless at this point - they have no real power. There have already been threats of sanctions, etc. What exact method would you propose if not muscle flexing in this case that has not already been tried?

16. FCPnewbie macrumors member

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't the Grand Pubah of Iran say in a speach not too long ago that history as we know it would end in two years or less... it just seems like he's itching for a fight with someone.
    Maybe he figures that if he can get us to attack his country that the world will indeed ignite into war and his prediction could possibly come true. We're living in strange times. Anyone have a left over Y2K stockpile they might be willing to sell for a good price?

17. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

It reminds me when jews had to wear David's star on their clothes in Nazi Germany...

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds good to me.:)

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your own Grand Poobah apparently awaits the Rapture, too. Funny, that.

You can only "win" here by refusing to be provoked. For a change. If your White House spent half as much effort on repairing the UN as it does on its foolish posturing, there would be a true, collective alternative.

20. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Iran, I don't care, I don't plan on traveling there anyway. It's a different strange culture by western standards but most of the Arabic countries are like that. This time I would wait till they would attack, I don't think USA can afford another fiasco like in Iraq (considering a deep budget hole, creating chaos, and lack of real results, and Irans military is definately better than that of Iraq). Besides, now that I live in US and have the citizenship, I, for one, don't feel like going in to another war that is one ocean and one continent away and doesn't directly affect US.

I just don't understand why in times like this instead of wasting more American soldiers lifes they would actually invest that money into drilling Alaska, Pacific Ocean, or Gulf Of Mexico for oil (or invest into reasearch of alternate forms of energy, actually I think the technology is here but the big oil lobby has too much of a grasp on the world scene). Everyone knows that this is all about controling the worlds energy supply and not about freedom.

If it was about freedom then USA would also take care of Chechenya, Turkey (Armenia), and probably the most violent of it all, Africa where warlords have been running most of the countries there for years.

I wonder how many of the people who support the attack of US on Iran would actually in their right mind go on the battlefield and duke it out, considering that Iran so far hasn't done anything to hurt USA except exchange few words. And if Iran would really want to make and use weapons of mass destruction they could have easily obtain it a whole lot soon from post Soviet countries (same goes for Iraq, they were supposed to have nuclear weapons and up to today they found squat, oh wait they found Hussein who used more body doubles then Stalin).

21. Black&Tan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

There is too much posturing going on, both here in the US and in Iran. Posturing has got us nowhere with Korea and nowhere with Iran. Its time for a new plan.

Maybe a rational, one on one discussion between all interested parties.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Countdown until this thread is moved to the Politics board:

Three... two...

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

One... :D

Gone too far? A clothing code?

Pity that the U.S. turns its head on graver matters.

http://hrw.org/english/docs/2006/01/25/iran12535.htm

You have people over there persecuted and tortured because of their sexual orientation, with a sly nod from the US. Contemptible.

24. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

blitzkrieg79

Hehehe, yeah, of course it will.

Anyway, I don't know what is wrong with the world today, everyone wants more and more, it's like a race to total world domination except that it's an impossible task. US won the war in Iraq in couple of days but so what if they can't maintain peace and order there which costs them more than the actual war.

Anyway, I have my Mac, I have my PC, I have my job, I have my wife, I have a kid, I have my EVO, soon maybe I'll buy a house, I travel, I live my own little life and yet I never killed anyone to accomplish what I've accomplished. I understand and appreciate lifes lost for fighting for the real freedom but the stuff that is going on right now is all about greed.

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Why havent we seen this news item on any of the major networks?