Now THIS is wrong

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by apple2991, Feb 10, 2005.

1. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Completely wrong.

Shouldn't there be a law against just being a horrible person?

(Sorry if this is double-post.)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Every year, in all parts of the world, you hear of stories like this – the brutal abuse and imprisonment of children.

Here's a particularly famous UK case.

It angers me when people use well-worn but unsubstantiated arguments about gay couples not being suitable for parenthood when you often read about the torture that 'normal' men and women are capable of...

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

A quote that caught my eye:

No indication they were abused? Physically, maybe, but I'd have to think that they were under some sort of mental/emotional abuse in order not to say anything about the conditions under which their sister was kept.

4. apple2991 thread starter macrumors 6502

That certainly seems reasonable and wouldn't surprise me at all. The part that really gets me is that the article says the man is getting charged with child and sexual abuse, and with having sexual contact with a minor six times. I realize those charges are slightly more severe than a misdemeanor, but I really wish there were some legal loophole to give the man immediate, constant psychiatric supervision (A.K.A. mental hospital). Either that or beat him to within an inch of his life, recuperate him, and then do it again.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is horrible, stories like this make me want to just sit down and cry, i feel bad for that poor girl, and i hope that she gets the care that she needs now

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A very sad situation. Amazing that the 14 year old was able to get away, such amazing courage. Some people should just never have children. My prayers are with the three children, there lives are better now, but will never be the same. :(

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

These stories are both awful and good. The more stories mean the more kids that are saved from this hell.

I think it was a pat benatar song about "hell is for children". That is what I always think of when I hear these stories.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I hope the girl is able to find a family who can provide her with the love and care she needs to begin to recover. She isn't a lost cause, but it will certainly take a great deal of time and care to help her to become functional again.

I cannot even fathom the torment of being isolated in a room alone for that long. Of course, the malnourishment and sexual abuse were horrible, but the isolation itself was torture.

There is no punishment harsh enough for those two adults.

9. rkphoto macrumors regular

rkphoto

They ought to lock the father and mother in seperate rooms for 10 years and I don't think they deserve the bathroom breaks. What horrible people!

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I am opposed to the death penalty, but sometimes these stories get me so mad I want to say "fry'em".

Was just re-reading the story somewhere else, where do monsters like this come from?

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

The more I read about this the more pissed I become. My wife and I struggled for many years - going through "reproductive therapy," etc., as well as my wife losing an ovary, in order to have our first child. Our second, though less problematic, also took several years.

Then I read about people who are incapable of recognizing the wonder and beauty that is their children, and instead choose to demean, demoralize, or even worse maim or kill them and I am horrified. In my mind, these are the worst kind of people.

12. apple2991 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been wondering how those children are going to turn out, particularly the girl. I can't stop wondering how it will effect her (obviously drastically), but will she ever be able to get her life on track? The article suggests she may not have been to school since 4th grade, indicating her education level is almost certainly very low. So sad.

13. Mantat macrumors 6502a

First of all, this is sick.

Now can someone explain to me why is that in cases like these the man always have more severe charges than the woman? It is clear in my eyes that both are criminal, sick and should be punished.

As bad as her life could have been, I think the girl will do fine. Humans can adapt to everything and she will now appreciate even more her new gain freedom. It will probably take a few years but I dont think her future is in danger.

Personnaly, I think people should need permit to have kids. Think about it. You need a permet to drive a car, have a gun, etc... Why not have kids? As far as I know, its way more dangerous and require way more skill than any of the previous mentionned activities! I know such a law would never pass but it should... I have seen / heard of a lot of bad parents (both of my gf parents are teachers) and it sicken me. Parent mixt love with laissez-faire and parental control with abuse. They need to find the line in the middle, its just common sense yet it elude them...

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

In this case, at least, the man sexually assaulted the girl, while the woman (though presumably she knew about it) did not.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't want to start a "discussion" of a separate issue, but I don't think that people who say gay couples aren't suitable for parenthood are afraid that gay couples are going to torture children.

Plus, what does this comment have to do with anything? I don't mean to get on your case, but I always find it odd when someone has something on their mind and they'll use anything as proof supporting it. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you here, but I'm saying that comments like this have no place in this thread. Save that for the political forum.

I apologize in advance, if this came off sounding harsh. I don't mean it to.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It has nothing to do with anything. It was a throw-away remark. This isn't the Oxford Debating Society and I'm not using it as proof for anything...

If you want to run around drawing attention to every off-topic comment in every thread, that's OK with me. :)

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Sorry to have picked on you Blue Velvet. I just see so many off topic remarks like that in these forums. I guess I got sick of them, decided to say something, and yours was the first I saw... :eek:

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, I know exactly what you mean... I'm pretty bad about straying off-topic but I usually try and say something more interesting than 'this sucks' or 'I agree'... Let's put a stop to this diversion now... no need to apologise :D

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Agreed.

And how do they live with themselves is also interesting-- how did the parents think that what they were doing was "right"?

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

A very, very underdeveloped conscience. But I wonder how someone could grow up with that underdeveloped of a conscience. It's amazing how people can go through life and never get a sense of what is right and wrong.

21. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Wacked out fundamentalist theists do this kind of crap all the time. Proof: Andrea Yates ( the b#tch doing life for drowning her five children) had to protect the kids from Satan by killing them. Thank you god, thank you for your plan!! :rolleyes:

22. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

This guy is going to get along FINE in the joint. I can see it now, somebody will shank his ass, and nobody will say a thing. :D

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yup. Even in prison, there are various levels of perceived evil. And child molestation/abuse is the worst. He won't last.

24. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Like you we also had to go through "reproductive therapy" before we were blessed with kids, so I am also totally blown away when people abuse children like that.

For the life of me I just cannot even begin to comprehend why anyone would even want to subject children to this kind of abuse.

On the other hand, I don't even want to imagine what type of *payback* is waiting for them on the *other* side. That's when the 'real' punishment begins IMHO.