Now we need the iKVM....

Discussion in 'Community' started by jsw, Jan 11, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Some lucky vendor can now product the iKVM - a Mac mini-sized KVM complete with room to tuck in the mini's power brick and also with the necessary cabling to allow a PC user to buy one (along with a mini), plug their KB and mouse into it, and plug its cables into their PC. Ports would include KB in (2), mouse in (2), power outlet (maybe), and KB out, mouse out, and power in. Ethernet ports would be nice as well. I figure the mini would stack on top of it, same dimensions. Presumably, special, short cables would be provided to attach the mini's ports to it, or it could even dock with the mini.

Might make switching very, very easy, as PC users could painlessly and aesthetically add a Mac without having to go elsewhere for a KVM and all the cabling.

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

people who need to connect more than one computer need to buy a router... I don't think the average person would know what a KVM is or why they need one. I tihnk apple would much rather sell the bluetooth accessories.

3. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, the router would need to be dealt with (AirPort card would help), but my point was that PC users might more readily try out the mini if using one were made as painless as possible - and that would include making it trivially easy for them to add a mini without clearing room for another BB, mouse, monitor, etc.. If they could walk into an Apple Store, buy a mini and a iKVM, and go home, they'd be much more likely to consider getting one. If they need to find a KVM somewhere else (and find the cables), or get a KB, mouse, and display, they're much less likely to get one.

And I sure hope it wouldn't actually be called the "iKVM" - I just thought the concept would be a good one, and requires zero new technology, just a new case.

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I agree. I feel that the next logical device is a KVM... however, I doubt it will be an Apple-branded device. There are current offerings on the market that do just what you may need. I doubt Apple feels it needs to enter this market.

5. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, I completely agree that Apple shouldn't/won't make it. But, if someone did make it, I bet the Apple Stores would sell it. To me, what would make it sellable is a mini-compatible size so that you'd stack the mini on it, and very short cables for that purpose.

"Simple" sells.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

See the link in my above post.

7. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

jsw

I did. It looks great - although it's missing USB. I just think that something specifically mini-matched and targeted and users who know next to nothing - i.e., trivial setup instructions - would help.

We'll see if manufacturers agree. ;)

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I agree... (sorry, I missed part of your post) :)