Now we're into 2013, is it worth buying a 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NattyE, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors member

It will be my first Apple computer, I just don't want to buy one if a new one is just around the corner...

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

3. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly.

If you need a computer, buy it - and buy the best you can afford at that time, something which will serve to fill your computing needs and possibly, also serve to future-proof it, to some extent. If, however, you merely want a computer, that's different, and you can afford to wait.

However, to try to second guess what the 'the next update' will bring is counter-productive and will probably just frustrate you. This is because the nature of technological evolution means that there is always going to be a 'nest update' which will make whatever computer you have seem outdated, irrespective of when you bought it.

4. macrumors regular

Definitely buy if you need. You can always go refurb too.

5. macrumors 604

there is always another generation of chips coming....
    Latest speculation for Intel on Haswell is Q2/Q3 2013. It could be may, it could be october.

If the current one fits your needs and you need/want one buy one.

6. macrumors 6502

i bought my 15 inch 2 months ago and i dont see it being outdated anytime soon im getitng so much use out of this baby i freaking love it it serves me so well all this time im wondering how i had windows for so damn long

7. macrumors 68000

elpmas

Honestly, I don't see it being refreshed for another 5 to 6 months...so if you can wait that long, go for it. If not, buy one that will suit you until then, then sell it off to buy a new one. Losing out a few bucks, but it's worth it if you need it. :)

8. thread starter macrumors member

Wow that was a fairly uniform response! Thanks guys :)

I spoke with my Uncle last night who develops for Apple and he reckons the next "upgrade" will be incremental with big changes coming in 2014. So I think I will buy one with no regrets knowing this.

Thanks for your help :)

9. macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

... with one expectation. Never ever try to future proof an electronic device by upgrades you do not need (processor bump and biggest ssd). Its simply not worth the money.

10. Fed
    macrumors 6502

Assuming you're after the non-Retina model, I'd say buy now. If anything, an update will bring a slightly better GFX card and processor bump. For most people, the difference will be negligible. Speaking as someone with a 13" MBP from 2012, after putting in an SSD and some more RAM - the thing is literally flying. And that's with just two cores. Imagine what it would be like with 4...

11. macrumors 604

I'm guessing that by 2014 all the Macbooks will be retina. Maybe even SSD only.

12. macrumors 68040

...because there may not be another Non-Retina model after the 2013 update. :p

13. macrumors 65816

designs216

I just bought the classic refurb and have been very pleased with it. If you can wait, then the prices of the refurbs may drop a bit more after the refresh. If you need it now, it is an awesome machine -- buy it with no regrets.

14. thread starter macrumors member

Yer I was thinking I might put some extra RAM in it after a little while and it is the non-Retina model I am after, I can't do without a disc drive just yet ;)

I will have educational discount when I start my new job (I hope) as I will be doing a master degree part time so refurbs aren't too much of an issue to get the price down.

15. macrumors 6502a

Hmm not sure I'd agree on that. For desktops, maybe, as parts are user serviceable. It of course depends on the type of upgrade on offer and what a person needs the computer for.

Laptops (ignoring the newer Retina MBP's) have two thing that's soldered on, the CPU and Graphics Card. The memory and hard disk are generally user-serviceable and much cheaper to upgrade post purchase and can expand with time.

I bought the best CPU and Graphics combination I could for my MBP in 2009, and upgraded the memory and HDD along the way myself and it's still running like a champ. The Retina MBP's complicate matters, being that basically nothing is -easily- upgradable.

16. macrumors 68000

Try to buy an Apple refurb. If you get the same 2012 model for a cheaper price, it will lessen the blow of the inevitable new models.