Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by i-sidd, Jan 28, 2007.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Picture 2.png

This is the message that I am getting from this website, where I need to apply for a job. Do I have to download Internet explorer, or can I still open it in safari, and if so How?

2. oceanmonster macrumors regular

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Stuff IE, download Firefox.

4. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like safari,So you guys are saying that I don't have any other option but download firefox. No other browser will do but firefox?

5. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Yes unfortunately you have to because some people design websites in internet explorer without thinking about mac users. Luckily in this case the website will open in firefox. I'd keep it installed on you mac just in case you run into a problem like this again. It is a good browser for those circumstances.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait.... no. If this site supports Netscape and Firefox as well as IE, you can almost certainly use the Agent Spoof feature from the Debug menu of Safari.

Do this:

1) Enable the Debug menu if you have not already done so

2) In Safari, Debug -> User Agent -> try one of the options (perhaps Netscape 7).

Now load the site. See if that works.

When sites only support IE, they're usually very picky. When they support Firefox and Netscape, they should work fine in Safari, and the web authors are just dinguses.

(All this does is to make Safari "pretend" to be something other than Safari when asked to identify itself to a website. If Safari can understand the results the website sends back, you're golden. If the website sends back ActiveX objects or something like that, you're still SoL. You can leave the Debug menu on (or just replace the 1 in the instructions with 0 to turn it off) -- it has some other useful stuff in it.)

7. oceanmonster macrumors regular

If you really like safari i would try that. Great tip mkrishnan i had never hear of that debug menu before. It opens up alot of features for safari.

8. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

mkrishnan, that is awsome, it really now lets me open the wesite on safari.
    So if I turn it off, now through terminal will I still be able to view that website or everytime I will need to turn on the Debug to view the website.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The Debug menu will stay as long you don't trash Safari's preference file.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Glad you like it! :)

It is a cool feature. There's no particular need to disable it -- it won't do too much harm and most of the settings in it do not make persistent changes to Safari (most of it's there to "debug" web designs). So I would just leave it.

Also if you use any of a number of excellent plugins like SafariStand, many of them have a click button to turn the menu on and off (but you have to restart Safari for the menu to appear or disappear).

Now comes the good part. Good luck getting the job! ;)