Now WHAT!!!! (iMac G5 needs major repair)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by qtrhorse21, May 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

We purchased an iMac G5 a little over 2 yrs ago (December of 2005) for a little over $2,000.00. We purchased this iMac because of the Apple reputation and because we needed a computer that would NOT let us down, so to us, the price was secondary to the product. But last week we turned our computer on and POOF it turned off and wouldn't turn back on...our life is on that computer and so we took it into the Apple Retail Store located at The Boca Raton Town Center Mall and we left it there to be worked on and today we received a call from an Apple Genius telling us that they THINK we need a new logic board for $1,000.00 but also said they wouldn't and couldn't assure us that the new logic board would fix our computer - so they suggested that we just buy a new G5! Is this really what Apple is suggesting we do...just buy a new one and then maybe in 2 years that one will still be working! I thought Apple had/has superior products - is this the way they treat loyal customers who not only buy their products because of their reputation, but also buy laptops, iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple????

2. macrumors 65816

Just because its branded Apple does not mean is immune to hardware failures.

edit - I should add, this is why extended warranties are suggested. You have a 2yr old product that has a failure and you are blaming Apple and claiming to be treated poorly because of this?

3. macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i guess sometimes you get a bad apple?

don't spend 1000 on a new logic board. go to the apple refurb store and buy a refurb iMac core 2 duo aluminum for $949 and get the extended warranty, that way in two years if/when it breaks, you can just call them an say AppleCare.

computers break. i'm sure someone bought a dell one time because they thought it was a well respected computer maker, only to have it break. your hd is prob fine. so you can buy an external USB case pop the HD in there and save all your data, and have a new speedy mac, and then buy applecare.

4. macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Ouch. Big ouch. But you must understand, problems happen. and if they want to replace your logic board for 1,000 bucks then *hint hint* just get a new Intel iMac. They cost just a little over that much, and your warrantee should mean that apple will have a Genius transfer your files. Seriously. Why not try to fix it some other way, and if it's still brokdeded, just get an iMac. They're only that much cheaper.

5. macrumors 65816

aaquib

Can't you ask them to do a full hardware test to determine for sure what's wrong? It's insane to pay a grand and not even have it fix your issue.

6. macrumors regular

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'd go for the refurbish with Apple care so you have three years of service.

7. D4F

D4F

If you plan to use a Mac over 1 year then apple care is the way to go.

8. macrumors 6502a

It's unbelievable. People forget that computers are still very complicated machines, and they can fail for any number of reasons. The guy spent $2000 on his G5 -- I'm not sure what kind of logic caused him to skimp on the $150 Applecare, not to mention not having a backup. Lately everyone wants to play the victim and it's always someone else's fault.

9. macrumors 604

Where would you get a new G5? They aren't making them now.

10. D4F

D4F

People are just stupid these days and your example is at bulls eye.
    Just like those dumb asses that buy expensive cars but can't afford proper insurrance. You got to be retarded when u act like that.

Besides, +/- $150 is +/- $50 a YEAR. That is +/- $4.16 A MONTH.
    So you pay $2000, cheap your ass for $5 a month and then u come and cry.
    Some people are plain idiots.

11. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Apple sell technology, not magic. Their products will cease to function normally at some point. My 2002 iMac G4 died last year from logic board failure, yet my 2001 Titanium Powerbook is still working fine. Even my 1994 LC575 is still working.

Love it or loath it, buying any kind of technology is a gamble. Apple is no exception.

12. macrumors 65816

Before I click on this thread, I thought it's about that 'Get a Mac' TV ad.. Now what.

I don't understand the logic behind it as well. It's electronic, some days it's gonna 'die', just like us.

Thinking of this way, if that iMac = your life; the data should be more valuable than just the iMac itself, right? [if the case the problem is isolated to the motherboard].

13. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Buy a Mac mini. It'll be faster than any G5 iMac.

14. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Before you panic -- the white iMac G5s were prone to a power supply failure problem and Apple had an extended warranty programme for some of them. If your particular Apple place can't tell you more about it, then take it to an independent Apple Authorized service place for an estimate and ask them.

15. Guest

Sky Blue

16. D4F

D4F

What's that??

:D:D

17. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

1. You should have bought the cheap apple warranty(out of all the extended waranties that you can buy this is one of the few I find worth while.)
    2. You should have had your hard drive backed up if "your life" is on it. (basic computer knowledge.)

And don't go slamming apple for your mistakes. Apple is well known for there opperating system and ease of use with its products. Apple uses exactly the same computer parts that you would find in a dell or hp.

Now you have learned from your mistakes.:apple:

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors member

myusername

2nd opinion

Did they show you anything on the board, it could be just the power supply, it's about $150.00 to fix it.

The main determining factor are the caps on the board themselves. If they look like cans of soda that were frozen and the bottoms popped.

The other thing to look at is there is a logic board repair extension program for certain iMacs that show what you are explaining. That covers you even out of warranty

Take it back or go pick it up and ask some more questions....

-r

20. thread starter macrumors newbie

When we purchased the G5 in Florida, Apple was not offering any extended warranty for the G5....We have the extended for our other Apple products, so we are NOT IDIOTS we are just looking for some guidance and help on what we should do ... the response for the refurbished Apple was great, maybe they will take ours and trade it in for another???? and we are not bashing Apple, we are just upset that this is happening - so for those who ENJOY calling others IDIOTS, etc... all I can say to you is GROW UP we are just trying to get some help here

21. macrumors 6502

Sorry to break it to you but Apple has always offered AppleCare on iMac G5s. I have one that's a bit older than yours and still under AppleCare.

22. D4F

D4F

Interesting. I thought the apple care is available for ages now and clearly for the past 2 years. If you were not able to purchase apple care (since you have 4 other ones) then why didn't you go online (even Ebay) and get one??
    You can register it up to a year after purchase so you had plenty of time to do that.
    Sorry to say but coming here and crying like a kid does make you look like a idiot as it's clearly your fault for not making sure your setup is covered.

23. macrumors 604

Why no backups?

Goodness, don't you back up your data regularly? I use both usb keys and CD/DVDs and back up everything that is mine on a regular basis, at least as often as I change something like use Quicken or buy a song in iTunes. It is not that expensive to do regular backups. There is always the possibility of a power surge that can fry your system, so you need backup.

24. macrumors 6502a

earnjam

There is no need to be rude, people. So they made a mistake and didn't regularly back up their data. I believe I've made that mistake numerous times in the past and I think they realize now they should have made a backup. Regardless, what's done is done, let's try to give them advice on the current situation and not rip on them and call them idiots!

As far as advice, if it were me, I'd use it as an excuse to buy a new iMac. You'll love the performance boost and will be better off going forward with intel as opposed to powerpc. I would do exactly what Wyatt23 said...

If you want to keep trying the repair route, you might be able to check with some of the certified apple repair centers. I think we have a 2 or 3 of them where I live. When I had to get a screen repaired on my MBP, I checked with them and they were about 15-20% cheaper than going through Apple. Not sure it will always be like that, but just a thought.

Good Luck!

25. D4F

D4F

I'm sorry... It's just hard not to.
    From Original post:
    '...I thought Apple had/has superior products - is this the way they treat loyal customers who not only buy their products because of their reputation, but also buy laptops, iPhones, iTouch, iPods, etc.... Our entire family is Apple now and this is the way we are treated for "believing" in Apple???? ...'

Believing? lol c'mon! It's a piece if electronic equipement!

Maybe I should be more polite it's just their way of thinking is insane:D