Now...wireless displays?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pinks, Sep 19, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2003
    OK... so now we have wireless keyboards, mice, internet, networking (printing, etc.) what are the obstacles in the way of developing wireless monitors/flat-panel displays?

Surely, the cable between the computer base and the display is the final chain that needs to be broken (apart, of course, from power-supply) before we can have a truly wireless office or home computing environment.

2. macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    Re: Now...wireless displays?

Better have one fast wireless connection and since those usually involve some sort of satellite transmission, I would venture to say the cable will stay.

I read an article on speed of data over TV lines. They stated that for an average non-HDTV signal, it consumed over 26Mbps for a screen. Increase the action/speed on the screen and it jumped even higher.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I think the problem with wireless displays right now is that if you actually look at the data rate in a DVI monitor cable (in a MB/s rate) it's crazy. I've heard that it reaches gig's a second at high res, fast refresh. Basically, were going to have to wait a little longer until a bluetooth like protocol comes out that can handle something like this.

4. TEG
    macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Didn't Viewsonic come out with a removable Screen in one of their recient models. You could pick up the screen and walk with it like a tablet, then return it to the base and use it like a regular screen. And yes, there was a seperate computer, it was not a tablet PC. I heard that it was even suppossed to be Mac compatible, then it just dissappeared.

5. macrumors 6502

Jan 31, 2003
    Oh yeah, Viewsonic does have a wireless display out...and it hasn't really disappeared. You can get them at CompUSA. Battery life is only 4hrs, but has a built in usb, mic, speaker, and audio jack. Kinda a cool little monitor if you ask me....but I don't know if I could give up the mouse and keyboard just yet....suppose you could put a hub in that one usb port :rolleyes:

Wireless Monitor
  6. macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    What's the point really? If it's wireless, it's got to be battery powered, so since you need a cable for power, might as well have a cable to the computer. Not *everything* should be wireless, especially not until we start finding out what effect all these radio waves are going to have on us.
  7. macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    makes you think apple really had a good idea with the ADC connector that uses one cable for power, video and USB. Too bad they haven't been able to get other manufacturers to use the same connector. I wonder if they've even tried.