Now's the time (as good as any) to buy the PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by djkny, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #1
    Okay, so I'm guessing no updates at Expo based on the keynote being pulled.
    So this is as good a time as any to buy a 15" PB yes? I know this is nearly a rhetorical question, but I need to assuage my compulsive waiting.

    Hopefully, it's no new updates until next January, or very minor bumps next Tuesday, the 13th. If nothing's released next week, I'm buying.
     
  2. Jay42 macrumors 65816

    Jay42

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #2
    Yeah go for it. Even if something was happening in Paris, it wasn't gonna be big. I still might have waited, but now it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything at all, so....
     
  3. djkny thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #3
    That's what I figured, too. But Appleinsider reported awhile back the possiblility of WUXGA (or something other) LCD improvements, better power consumption, RAM improvements, etc. even if it was only a 3% increase in clock speed, I would've waited it out for these improvements at probably a lower cost.

    Now, I just have to swallow my disappointment ...
     
  4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

    Jay42

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #4
    Sarcasm? I wouldn't be disappointed in a PowerBook.
     
  5. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #5
  6. jap4n macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2003
    Location:
    wellington, nz
    #6

    How much would you sell it for mate? - ive been thinking about up grading to a powerbook 15 :)
     
  7. tekmoe, Sep 6, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  8. hayduke macrumors 65816

    hayduke

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    is a state of mind.
    #8
    2 cents worth...

    I would way until after tha Paris Expo just in case there is a minor update. Then I would buy buy buy without regret. I'd much rather have a Rev D/E/F Powerbook than a Rev A Intel-PB.
     
  9. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2005
    Location:
    Burton michigan
    #9
    just because their is no keynote doesn't mean new products won't be released.....especially minor bumps

    I didn't see the ibook or macmini with a keynote....
     
  10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #10
    That's true, Powerbook's are due for an update pretty soon.....but i doubt they will be major probably slight processor and storage bump or someting i doubt a better LCD screen will happen anytime soon.....A 12" widescreen could be on the cards though,

    ShadOW
     
  11. lalcan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Location:
    Left of the center
    #11
    Well, after half a year saving for a powerbook i finally have the money, so september 28th is my deadline, i think if they don't update them a week after Paris it should be pretty safe there won't be any more updates to the G4 line. I'm thinking the Intel-PB will be released next january but i'd rather have a reliable PPC .
     
  12. scifiman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2003
    #12
    I don't think we'll see an Intel-PB until June at the earliest. Jobs basically gave a 1 year notice for the switch at the WWDC keynote so no new Intel Macs until at least WWDC next year. Just my $0.02
     
  13. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #13
    if you can wait, then do it. powerbooks will be updated very soon. and if in your opinion the upgrade is not worth it, then you can make a very good deal with some company that has older version powerbooks in stock. they surely want to get rid of those fast and cheap as soon as new models come available.

    give it a month at least, if you don't have to buy one right now.
     
  14. SteveMcQ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    #14
    Assuming some updates are in store for the PowerBooks, how soon would they be out for retail?
     
  15. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #15
    nobody knows. some updates have been available immediately and other ones have had months of waiting. but the price of old models should go down the day apple announces new ones.
     
  16. SteveMcQ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    #16
    Oh I see...thanks.

    Was looking into getting the 17" PowerBook myself. They have a deal to get a free iPod Mini (after rebate), but I'm guessing it's just a way to get buyers to bite before some sort of update. I'll hold off a few weeks and see what news comes about. And hopefully if the updates are coming, they're coming fast.
     
  17. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    Even now the keynote is no more I'm still going to wait until after Expo. Who knows what Apple will announce if at all anything!

    Go ahead if you can't wait the extra couple of weeks (maybe your starting college, university, etc)
     

Share This Page