Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Okay, so I'm guessing no updates at Expo based on the keynote being pulled.
So this is as good a time as any to buy a 15" PB yes? I know this is nearly a rhetorical question, but I need to assuage my compulsive waiting.

Hopefully, it's no new updates until next January, or very minor bumps next Tuesday, the 13th. If nothing's released next week, I'm buying.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah go for it. Even if something was happening in Paris, it wasn't gonna be big. I still might have waited, but now it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything at all, so....

djkny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2003
Jay42 said:
Yeah go for it. Even if something was happening in Paris, it wasn't gonna be big. I still might have waited, but now it doesn't seem like there's going to be anything at all, so....

That's what I figured, too. But Appleinsider reported awhile back the possiblility of WUXGA (or something other) LCD improvements, better power consumption, RAM improvements, etc. even if it was only a 3% increase in clock speed, I would've waited it out for these improvements at probably a lower cost.

Now, I just have to swallow my disappointment ...

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
djkny said:
That's what I figured, too. But Appleinsider reported awhile back the possiblility of WUXGA (or something other) LCD improvements, better power consumption, RAM improvements, etc. even if it was only a 3% increase in clock speed, I would've waited it out for these improvements at probably a lower cost.

Now, I just have to swallow my disappointment ...

Sarcasm? I wouldn't be disappointed in a PowerBook.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
2 cents worth...

djkny said:
So this is as good a time as any to buy a 15" PB yes? I know this is nearly a rhetorical question, but I need to assuage my compulsive waiting.

Hopefully, it's no new updates until next January, or very minor bumps next Tuesday, the 13th. If nothing's released next week, I'm buying.

I would way until after tha Paris Expo just in case there is a minor update. Then I would buy buy buy without regret. I'd much rather have a Rev D/E/F Powerbook than a Rev A Intel-PB.

Raidersmojo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2005
Burton michigan
just because their is no keynote doesn't mean new products won't be released.....especially minor bumps

I didn't see the ibook or macmini with a keynote....

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Raidersmojo said:
just because their is no keynote doesn't mean new products won't be released.....especially minor bumps

I didn't see the ibook or macmini with a keynote....

That's true, Powerbook's are due for an update pretty soon.....but i doubt they will be major probably slight processor and storage bump or someting i doubt a better LCD screen will happen anytime soon.....A 12" widescreen could be on the cards though,

ShadOW

lalcan

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Left of the center
shadowmoses said:
That's true, Powerbook's are due for an update pretty soon.....but i doubt they will be major probably slight processor and storage bump or someting i doubt a better LCD screen will happen anytime soon.....A 12" widescreen could be on the cards though,

ShadOW

Well, after half a year saving for a powerbook i finally have the money, so september 28th is my deadline, i think if they don't update them a week after Paris it should be pretty safe there won't be any more updates to the G4 line. I'm thinking the Intel-PB will be released next january but i'd rather have a reliable PPC .

scifiman

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
lalcan said:
I'm thinking the Intel-PB will be released next january but i'd rather have a reliable PPC .

I don't think we'll see an Intel-PB until June at the earliest. Jobs basically gave a 1 year notice for the switch at the WWDC keynote so no new Intel Macs until at least WWDC next year. Just my $0.02

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
if you can wait, then do it. powerbooks will be updated very soon. and if in your opinion the upgrade is not worth it, then you can make a very good deal with some company that has older version powerbooks in stock. they surely want to get rid of those fast and cheap as soon as new models come available.

give it a month at least, if you don't have to buy one right now.

SteveMcQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
Assuming some updates are in store for the PowerBooks, how soon would they be out for retail?

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
SteveMcQ said:
Assuming some updates are in store for the PowerBooks, how soon would they be out for retail?

nobody knows. some updates have been available immediately and other ones have had months of waiting. but the price of old models should go down the day apple announces new ones.

SteveMcQ

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2005
JFreak said:
nobody knows. some updates have been available immediately and other ones have had months of waiting. but the price of old models should go down the day apple announces new ones.
Oh I see...thanks.

Was looking into getting the 17" PowerBook myself. They have a deal to get a free iPod Mini (after rebate), but I'm guessing it's just a way to get buyers to bite before some sort of update. I'll hold off a few weeks and see what news comes about. And hopefully if the updates are coming, they're coming fast.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
djkny said:

Even now the keynote is no more I'm still going to wait until after Expo. Who knows what Apple will announce if at all anything!

Go ahead if you can't wait the extra couple of weeks (maybe your starting college, university, etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.