nowwhat.com

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WildCowboy, Aug 11, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So I'm heading home from work today on 280 in San Francisco and I see a flatbed truck with a car on the bed. And there's a window air conditioner that appears to have fallen onto the hood of the car and lodged part way through it. Just as I'm thinking what an odd sight it was and wondering why the air conditioner wasn't removed before putting the car on a freeway at 70 miles an hour, I pull abreast of the truck and see a big sign stuck on the roof of the car. It has a big question mark and "nowwhat.com" on it...it then occurs to me that the whole thing could be a fake and just a marketing bit.

When I got home I checked out the site and it is in fact for State Farm insurance...both home (hence the air conditioner) and auto. But I'm still trying to figure out whether their marketing technique actually involves driving around on Bay Area freeways with the car and air conditioner or if it was simply en route to a static display somewhere.

Has anybody else in the Bay Area seen this thing driving around?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

even if it makes no sense it got you there(as it would have most people) maybe it was just put there to confuse people, and then they go there think its some crazy site, when it just for insurance

3. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

4. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Apparently there have a been a few TV ads (I haven't seen them) with a similar theme, including one where the air conditioner falls on the car. There is never any mention of State Farm until you get to the web site.

At least it was something different...and yes, they got me to the web site. But I already have renters and auto insurance that I'm quite happy with, thank you very much.

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

well if there has been tv adds like that, maybe they were transporting one of the vehicles used in the ads.

6. WildCowboy thread starter Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That's what I was wondering...the 49ers have an exhibition game tonight and it was sort of headed in that direction (it exited onto 101 South, so it could have been going anywhere), but it was a bit late to be heading there for a special appearance, as kickoff was only about about 45 minutes away. That's why I asked if anyone else had seen it recently...that would probably help answer whether it was just being transported or if the marketing campaign really involves driving the freeways during rush hour.