NPR's All Things Considered Gives Props to Mac Users

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Awimoway, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=1576789 (Requires Windows Media or Real One player to listen to the piece)

The article is a year in review of the music industry. It talks about how Apple made the biggest impact on it by showing the labels a new, more trusting model for online sales. It makes Mac users look good by saying the Apple's system had more relaxed copy protection standards than competing solutions and the early Mac program was a test to see if the system would be exploited. It wasn't, so Apple was able to port expand it to Windows users. Nothing new here, but the way the phrased made Mac users sound good.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

As far as Mac users looking good...

My flight home from LAX the other day was delayed almost 4 hours, so I got a chance to pull out my 15 inch aluminum beauty whilst I waited. When I looked around, I saw that for the most part those people with laptops where all middle-aged overweight business men huddled around the few available power sockets. Then across the room I spotted a fit younger guy, sitting calmly in a chair away from the wall apparently watching a DVD on his 12 inch aluminum beast. For a second I caught his eye, I motioned all around us at the other laptop users. We exchanged wry smiles and went back to our work.

3. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    ain't it the truth...be it in a coffeeshop, airport, train, or where ever...we share that common bond of not only "Thinking Different"...but being right all along. *sigh*

Thanks, Steve Jobs, for bringing the luster back to your garage-born baby...we the few, the proud, the cool...salute you.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Everytime I see another mac user, there's is definately that nod of "they just don't get it." We are almost a club of responsible computer users that tend not to steal software (look at panther, I BOUGHT a copy) and look out for one another. Hence this sight. check out hardforums some time, and see the "elitist pc geekery" snears and refusals to help noobs.

Oh well, they just don't understand and probably never will. Their loss, cause I live in a world where computers serve me, not the other way around.

5. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Well, I would probably join them quickly. Watching a DVD I can't get more than 2 hours out of my PB 15", and that is a lot already. As far as I am informed, newer Pentium 4 mobile laptops can beat that easily... battery life definitely is not one of the strengths of the new powerbooks *sigh*

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

7. CyberGreg macrumors regular

My work laptop is a Dell with the new Centrino chipset and one thing is for sure they are indeed fast. Mine is a 1.4 Ghz and it will smoke any P4 laptop. However.... I use the builtin wireless and that sucks up the battery extremely fast! I get maybe 2 hours and that's with all of the battery saving features turned on. I don't know how long the battery lasts without using the wireless. I can compare it to my older iBook and that lasts longer than the new Dell. I still get around 2.5 hours when using the iBook and Airport card.

Those of you with new 15" PowerBooks, have you tried turning off or disabling the Airport card?

:)

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I very rarely run into another mac user. In fact I've never experienced the "nod"... hmm...

As for battery life, turning off bluetooth and airport increases my battery life by 45minutes or so. Really does the trick. :)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dim the screen brightness down to one over minimum. That also helps a great deal, particularly with the larger screens.

10. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Over here (in Japan) Mac users fall into 2 categories: the cool ones where you get 'the nod' and the jerks who try to out-cool you by having more Mac hardware than you. I had a student who was the 2nd type ... :rolleyes: real annoying real fast. (compared my 5gig iPod to his 20, touted his 800Mhz iBook in front of my 500Mhz, said he didn't need a G4 proc when I brought my TiBook in, criticized me for buying a TAM, etc, etc.)

Anyway when I was in Guam I pulled out my iBook once and ones of the guys who worked behind the desk at the hotel was probably one of the only Mac people who lives on the island (not counting the U.S. Military) and we had a good chat :)

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    my local NPR station (KCRW 89.9, they stream on iTunes, check the Eclectic section) always gives out a dozen Mac's over the run of each subscription drive. I've yet to win one, though i'd still donate/subscribe regularly anyways.