NSA and Linux

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jordan72, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Jordan72 macrumors member

I've read in a book of mine that NSA discontinued all work to improve the security of Linux because of complaints that it was creating unfair competition for Microsoft.

I can't seem to find anything directly related to this on Google. I'd like to learn more about what this is all about. Anyone know if there are any articals on the web related to this?

My source is page 1 of CORE MAC OS X AND UNIX PROGRAMMING, Master Darwin and the Core Technologies.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You're probably thinking of Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux).... but I don't ever remembering them discontinuing work on it.

The last update, and release, was 7 December 2005. That's only a few days ago.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your source contradicts NSA's web site, please give an authority that we don't have to go out and buy. But seeing as how the book was published in 2003 and the NSA is still working on SE Linux, I tend to doubt the FUD you are spreading here.

4. Jordan72 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, I simply asked a question. My comment does not imply that I believe anything or am asserting anything is true, so I'm not spreading FUD. In it's conventional context, FUD comes from a monopolizing company, not from the small guy.

I am just asking if anyone knows anything, because I don't what this comment is all about. I think it's probable this guy that wrote the book who worked for Apple isn't going to ruin his credibility by writing lies and then expect to sell texts books. So I assume there is only something being misunderstood. There is no intention on my part to spread lies like you've ridiculously claimed.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Now get this: Your "source" was published in 2003. That was nearly a lifetime ago in computer years. If what you claim it says has not come true by now (and it has not), then it is a dead issue. There was no question left to be asked.

6. Jordan72 thread starter macrumors member

Fine, if you're not interested, then why respond? I am interested. There is no rule that I can't talk about things that happened roughly two years ago. Again, if you're not interested, politely take yourself to another thread. Arrogance is off-topic and is inappropriate.

7. belvdr macrumors 601

I would read dubbz's response and see if that helps you out. I see nothing wrong with your questioning.

What about a book on HTML? ;) If Jordan72 doesn't have all the facts at his/her disposal, then questions should be asked. Let's befriend our MacRumor's neighbors.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is not the issue. If Jordon72's book had been published 6 months ago, then I would understand his question. It was not. The book was published nearly three years ago. The notion that he didn't have all the facts is laughable. The 2003 publication date is clearly printed in the book. Virtually any issue of relevance to the computer industry three years ago is very old news today. I do my level best to help people who have questions about their computers. I know a lot, but I don't know everything. But, one of the things I know is Google. A Google search would have saved Jordon72 the embarassment of being called on three-year-old misinformation.

9. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Seriously, calm down a bit. Jordan72 merly asked a question, and accusing him of spreading FUD is way too harsh. Google or no Google.

Jordan72: I'm curious what exactly it said in that book (the exact phrase, if you're willing) with regards to NSA discontinuing work on Linux. If it said straight out that NSA, then that's a rather major piece of misinformation.

Can't say I've heard anything about that... though I'm quite certain Microsoft doesn't like NSA working on Linux.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

That is Jordan72.

So, "virtually any issue of relevance to the computer industry three years ago is very old news today", eh?

How about firewalls, encryption, DNS security, web portals, email, instant messaging, 64-bit computing, gaming, high-end graphics cards, MP3s, wireless connectivity, PDAs, database usage, Linux, and optical storage?

My point is that there are no dumb questions. If MR blocked every question that could be answered by Google, we would all be idle. Let people ask questions. No need to slam them right out of the gate with harsh remarks.