NSFileManager: Notification of moved files

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MacDonaldsd, Feb 5, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Hi all,

Im having a problem whereby I need to keep track of a few files on the system that my application keeps a URL reference to. The problem I am having is that I can't get any notification when these files are moved.

I tried the code below but it isn't working, the delegate methods never get called.

Code:
    - (void)awakeFromNib
    {

NSFm=[NSFileManager defaultManager];

[NSFm setDelegate:self];

NSLog(@"Delegate %@", [NSFm delegate]);

}

- (void)fileManager:(NSFileManager *)manager willProcessPath:(NSString *)path{
    	NSLog(@"File manager%@",manager);

}

- (BOOL)fileManager:(NSFileManager *)fileManagershouldMoveItemAtPath:(NSString *)srcPathtoPath:(NSString *)dstPath {

NSLog(@"File manager");
    	return YES;
    }

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

If you want to track files when they are moved, you can use aliases (from Carbon). One Cocoa wrapper is NDAlias.

3. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Yeah, NDAlias or similar is the way to go. As for why your code didn't work, you're fundamentally misunderstanding what NSFileManager does. It's isolated to just your application; so those delegate methods will only be called when you ask your NSFileManager instance to do something.

Also you mis-capitalized one of them.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Ok thanks,

I thought that was the problem.

Its more of a case that if they are moved I want to delete there related in my application.