Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Hi again guys,

I'm looking for a way to either iterate over each line in an NSString or to to count the number of lines in an NSString so that I can iterate over them ;). If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Also, is there a way to strip unwanted characters from the start/end of a line: like chomp in perl or strip() in Python.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Take a look at the NSString documentation on XCode. The - (NSArray *)componentsSeparatedByString:(NSString *)separator looks promising (@"\n" would be the separator)

- (NSString *)stringByTrimmingCharactersInSet:(NSCharacterSet *)set can be used like chomp.

netytan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Thanks Robbie, the stringByTrimmingCharactersInSet: method was just what I was looking for :).

I'm not so sure about the line separation because the approach doesn't seem unicode compatible (I could be wrong).

Code:
[i]From the docs on [b]"getLineStart:end:contentsEnd:forRange:"[/b][/i]
A line is delimited by any of these characters, the longest possible sequence being preferred to any shorter:

U+000D (\r or CR)

U+2028 (Unicode line separator)

U+000A (\n or LF)

U+2029 (Unicode paragraph separator)

\r\n, in that order (also known as CRLF)

Maybe someone could answer this: in a unicode string, is the line terminator still "\n" or some other character? The string I'm working with is from an NSTextView if that helps.

Thanks again :),

Mark.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Seems to be a fair point. Create some sort of recursive method to loop over separating by each possible line end character in turn?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.