NSWindow can't get focus

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Vizin, Oct 12, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'm having trouble creating a new NSWindow. The window appears but it can't get focus. Here's what I'm trying:

EditorWindowController *windowController=[[EditorWindowController alloc] initWithWindowNibName:mad:"Editor"];
    [[windowController window] becomeKeyWindow];

I've also tried using becomeMainWindow, but nothing works.

I've googled the problem extensively and found some other people have had the same issue, but I couldn't find any answers.

Anyone know what might be wrong? This is one of my first cocoa for mac apps, most of my cocoa experience is for iPhone OS, so I might be understanding something wrong.

2. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

From the docs for becomeKeyWindow:
    What you want is makeKeyAndOrderFront:

Code:
    [[windowController window] makeKeyAndOrderFront:nil];
    However, if your EditorWindowController class is a subclass of NSWindowController (which it probably should be), you can use this instead;
    Code:
    [windowController showWindow:nil];

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help, but neither of those worked. The original window keeps focus.

4. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You might not have connected the window in the nib, and possibly have the "Visible At Launch" checkbox enabled for the window in IB. I'd double-check these.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh god. Somehow I knew it was going to be something incredibly simple that I spaced out on.

Thanks a lot. :) I can't believe I missed that.