Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

i have in the past had a bootcamp partition that was fat 32, and i used macdrive to read and write files from my mac partition. i could open files straight off my mac partition in windows and it worked out great.

if i switch my bootcamp windows partition to ntfs, reinstall windows, what are the limitations? what are the workarounds for reading and writing to/from the mac partition?

i hope to use bootcamp ntfs, reading and writing from the mac partition, with parallells booting from bootcamp's windows partition....

thanks,
r.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
if i switch my bootcamp windows partition to ntfs, reinstall windows, what are the limitations? what are the workarounds for reading and writing to/from the mac partition?
MacDrive doesn't care if your BC partition is FAT or NTFS.

i hope to use bootcamp ntfs, reading and writing from the mac partition, with parallells booting from bootcamp's windows partition....
Under Parallels you don't even need MacDrive, as you can provide read write access to the HFS+/NTFS files through shared folders. The one caveat is external NTFS drives will be read only in Parallels as they are mounted by OS X.

B

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Under Parallels you don't even need MacDrive, as you can provide read write access to the HFS+/NTFS files through shared folders. The one caveat is external NTFS drives will be read only in Parallels as they are mounted by OS X.

B

Yeah, I found this out recently. I had to reformat my external NTFS 300 Gb drive to HFS. I now can access it both in Parallels and from my PC laptop running MacDrive.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
so now i have booted off my bootcamp partition from parallels and it's incredible. incredibly fantastic. installed according to instructions, installed bootcamp tools etc.

-but now i restart into my bootcamp directly, select all the proper settings. but now i can't see my mac partition at all. even with macdrive...?! i need that to work! whats the story?

none of my "shared folders" that i used with macdrive, as well as my shared folders that i used in parallels work any longer...

?

thanks,
r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
macdrive apparently conflicts with parallels beta, so i remove macdrive, reinstall parallels tools. parallels works fine. (it wouldn't open that virtual machine if it had macdrive installed)

-but now i'm still stuck with the problem: how to i access my mac partition from bootcamp? i can't see it at all? ntfs... parallels... !

help please!

r.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
There's no way to have both. Parallels conflicts with MacDrive. If you have the Parallels tools installed, MacDrive won't work when booted into Windows natively. You have to choose one or the other. I chose MacDrive in BootCamp, because the number of times I need to use Windows for something other than games is almost nil.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
There's no way to have both. Parallels conflicts with MacDrive. If you have the Parallels tools installed, MacDrive won't work when booted into Windows natively. You have to choose one or the other. I chose MacDrive in BootCamp, because the number of times I need to use Windows for something other than games is almost nil.

thanks for your reply,

and...

... man thats too bad....

no workaround at all....

r.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
thanks for your reply,

and...

... man thats too bad....

no workaround at all....

Actually there is. Assuming you will be using Boot Camp less frequently than Parallels, just uninstall Parallels Tools in Boot Camp each time you run BC. You'll have to reinstall it in Parallels, ofc, but the whole thing will take less than a minute, so no big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.