ntfs support lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by littleasian, Feb 26, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2009
    i was wondering if anybody has been able to get ntfs support working for lion. i have an external drive that's formatted in either FAT or NTFS and when i plugged it in an error popped up saying it couldn't be mounted.

anyone else having this problem?
  2. macrumors member

Oct 3, 2006
    Don't know if this helps but, when i insert my FAT32 usb key it mounts and works, read/write.

I can also access my bootcamp NTFS partition, but it won't write, so i don't think NTFS support is working ;)
  3. macrumors 6502

Nov 5, 2007
    NTFS volumes do mount under Lion without any problems for me, but they are read-only (for the moment at least)

I thought Apple might include native read/write support, but I had trouble getting it to mount in read/write mode when doing it manually.

/sbin/mount_ntfs -o rw /dev/disk2s1 /volumes/ntfstest
  4. macrumors newbie

Jul 5, 2011
    i have now 2 mac os partitions... one for snow leopard and one for lion...

i wonder,if i erase the one with leopard....will i be able to install the retail lion to another partition from inside lion GM ????
  5. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I use Tuxera NTFS. It has 64 bit kernel support and is working well so far.
  6. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability. Time will tell if this instability is corrected in Lion.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  7. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Why not use a USB flash memory thumb drive to clone the image onto and use that to do a clean install of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion?
  8. macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2011
    I have an interesting scenereo for you.. I have bootcamp installed so I can dual boot win7 and Lion. When I installed w7 I formatted in NTFS, now that I have upgraded to LION it does not recognize the partition, it complains, and VMWare no longer will connect / recognize that bootcamp.

I am stumped, does anyone have any suggestions?
  9. macrumors 68030

Jul 7, 2009
    I was hoping that they would have support for NTFS in Lion. But it is the same as what it was in SnowLeopard; read only. I had previously used NTFS-3G but was holding out buying the Tuxera software until Lion but now it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy Tuxera.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jul 15, 2011
  11. macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2010
    I had serious problem with that method, so I dumped it fairly quickly some time ago.
    I also had problems with NTFS-3G. It was flaky, and I can't afford that with valuable data.
    I then bought Paragon NTFS, and it has been 100% reliable since the day it was installed.
  12. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If you read the thread, you would have seen in my earlier post:
  13. macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2011
    And what about Lion ?
    Does it support NTFS read/write natively ?
  14. macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2010
  15. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2011

So bottom line, which plug in is the best to read NTFS external hard drives with Lion? I used to have one that worked perfectly for snow leopard but now that i have Lion is just not working!
  16. macrumors 68000

Sep 19, 2006
    Millis, Massachusetts
    I use this... and it works... on both Lion and Snow Leopard.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2010
    As I said above, I (and others) have had some issues with NTFS-3G (free) and I wouldn't trust my valuable data to it.
    For me, Paragon NTFS has been flawless and trouble free and I would highly recommend it to everyone. I know it's not free, but it's a pretty small price.
  18. macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2006
    The method where you modify fstab file doesn't seem to work anymore on Lion :(
  19. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I cannot get my drives to mount since going to Lion!!
  20. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
  21. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mac has had NTFS read support for years....not sure if they added write support.
  22. macrumors 65816

Dec 18, 2010
    I just tried the Paragon NTFS trial version and it works fine in Lion, I was able to format to NTFS and then read and write from NTFS without a problem. Thanks.

Here is the link if anyone wants to try it.

23. macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    Wonder why they won't mount then. I have Paragon installed too. I don't want to reformat these drives, obviously, since there is data on them.
  24. macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2011
    NTFS Lion

To read/write NTFS on Lion I had to delete the folder 'ufsd.fs' from /system/Library/filesystem

I installed a third party NTFS driver (Paragon 9.0.1 worked for me)

Now my NTFS drive mounts and I can read/write.

Hope that helps.
  25. macrumors 6502

Aug 16, 2008
    I am quite interested in Paragon to be honest. Anyone have any idea if it is a native 64bit application/preference or 32bit? What about Tuxera? I thought Tuxera is native 64bit, isn't it?

Thanks all.