NTFS with Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by emir, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

emir

As far as I know at Mountain Lion OS X can read NTFS but we need some 3rd party paid app to write NTFS. Is it the same with Mavericks or is there native support?

2. macrumors 65816

w0lf

3. macrumors 6502

Same, as wolf said.

And the current version of Paragon NTFS seems to work perfectly under Mavericks DP1 and DP2.

4. macrumors 65816

And Mavericks still uses HFS+ is assume?

5. macrumors 6502

Yes. There are no major file system changes. (Though I haven't delved deeply into CoreStorage to see what new features/interfaces they may have added/tweaked.)

6. macrumors 65816

I see. I don't know that much option file systems but I heard some people saying recently that HFS+ is getting old, and they wish Apple would go with something like ZFS. But unfortunately, no progress yet.

7. macrumors G3

What I want to know when the say HFS+ is getting old is what features they think it is lacking.

As for ZFS, what will that really gain you on a small one or 2 disk system? ZFS does have its uses, but most Mac configurations wouldn't really benefit from it in my opinion.

If Apple did adopt another filesystem as the main filesystem for OS X imagine the compatibility issues for moving external drives around. Also, would you have OS X change the filesystem on an OS upgrade or would you wind up with some people using one filesystem and other people using the new filesystem? This would become a support nightmare.

8. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Any ability to read / write EXT3/4 volumes natively with Mavericks? Or no change here?

9. macrumors 6502a

kemo

I've been using Paragon NTFS 10.2.204 for a while now and no problem at all on Mavericks, I actually don't see a reason upgrading all 3 of my computers to Paragon NTFS 11...

10. macrumors 68040

grahamperrin

Zfs

…*OS X Mavericks (10.9) > Where is the ZFS? > ZFS with one- or two-disk systems

11. macrumors 68020

Is SMB NTFS different?
    I have a NAS that's been formatted as NTFS and when I mount it on my Mavericks Macbook it sees it as SMB NTFS and it writes to it just fine (one I gave my Macbook the right permissions).
    Is this not normal?

12. macrumors 6502a

Your Mac isn't writing to the disk, your NAS is.

13. macrumors 68020

Interesting......
    So now that I've switched to a Mac I was considering reformatting the NAS as exFAT.
    Are you saying there'd be no point in doing that?
    Thanks

14. macrumors 6502a

There might be, but not for your mac. When you write to a NAS or network share, you send the data to the NAS or other computer, and the NAS or that other computer does the actual write action to the disk.

So for the remote computer, it doesn't matter one bit which filesystem is used as long as the NAS can write to it.