NTFS write support ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ivan308, Apr 13, 2005.

1. ivan308 macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm or deny wether Tiger has write support for NTFS drives ?

2. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Sorry I don't know but I would really like that.......would make a lot of things a lot easier :cool:

3. gloegg macrumors newbie

now that tiger is out, any info on NTFS write capabilities??

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not sure, but I'm guessing Apple would publicise this quite a bit - meaning Tiger probably doesn't write to NTFS. :(

5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

no one has good write support for NTFS. that's just the way the cookie crumbles when microsoft has it closed and proprietary. It'll be a few years before we get stable write support in anything, odds are you'll see it first in Linux, and then it'll be adopted by the darwin project, then make it into a release of OS X.

6. andysmith macrumors 6502

And by that time, MS will have moved onto WinFS.

7. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

that's alright because WinFS isn't a filesystem per say.. it's an "addon" to NTFS. All the files are still stored on an NTFS filesystem, however the extra garbage like metadata is tacked on there. No different than spotlight running on HFS+ really.

8. estherau macrumors newbie

have an ntfs disk on a pc networked to my G5 on 0S 10.3.9 and it seems to have no trouble copying ordinary files over to the PC disk well so far. I've only had it a short time.
    love esther
    oh I spoke too soon. It copied a small folder 1 gig no problem but on a 2.4 gig it kind of disconected the server I think. NOt working now. :confused:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Write support to an NTFS volume that is being served to the Mac from a Windows machine is a different issue from support for a directly mounted volume, AFAIK. Support for the former has been there for some time (albeit with the kind of limitations you describe).

10. estherau macrumors newbie

well i also tried something else

2 days ago i used carbon copy cloner to clone to a folder and i selected disk image in the preferences and i cloned ,y boot drive to the network drive. it took 2 days and unfortunately I didn't check (and ccc didn't warn me) that the network drive was too small,so it failed to complete, but it sthat disk image still comes up as a possible startup disks when i go to startup disks in my g5 preferences so it loos like it might have been going to work?????
    love esther