NTSC PAL Question

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Will an american NTSC xbox work on my PAL tv?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it will need to be modded yes. I'm not totally sure though.

4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

What type of modding? Can I get a simple converter for cheap?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Many newer PAL TVs also support NTSC natively. So I would check your TV first.

6. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Do I check it on the TV or look up my model?

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

do a search of the model number on the tinternet and it will tell you if it's pal/NTSC compat

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm pretty sure you'll have to look up your model - check online for "multistandard" or "multisystem" tvs.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

One definite option is to get an Xbox VGA cable and use your computer monitor. PAL/NTSC that will work. or so I read. though I strongly recommend you mod the Xbox, it opens up a plethora of possibilities and 100% VGA compatibility is one of them.

10. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Any modern TV should work with the American Xbox, you just need to make sure your TV handles NTSC signals as well as PAL. If you have a HDTV you'll be in for a great time playing games at 720p something they never bought to the PAL model. :rolleyes:

As for modding IMHO it just has to be done. I modded my Xbox and I had no interest in playing pirate games, there are just way too many great homebrew apps out there like Xbox Media Centre, all the emulators, heaps of homebrew games, oh did I mention Xbox Media Centre? If you are giong to take the time to get it modded make sure you dump a huge hard drive in it for... you guessed it Xbox Media Centre, the killer Xbox app IMO. My Xbox has (had I sold it) the Xecuter 2 (or 3) MOD chip it's a great chip since you can power the Xbox up as per normal to play online, or you can fire it up with a button press to the modded dash board and use the home brew stuff, or import games.

11. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I would but I have no idea where to start and I have no cash to buy parts.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, I don't know about Madrid or anywhere like that... you may have to install the modchip yourself. though I think I heard its possible to 'mod' the Xbox without a chip now, just a DVD that overwrites something. Don't hold me to this though! just something at the back of my mind.

Chips can be quite pricey. I paid £30 for mine. a VGA cable thing will set you back about £20. add to that all the time spent hunting around for the elusive Xbox VGA bios.

... yea it is a bit messy :(