NTSC to PAL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunfast, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I bought my Dad an import DVD for his birthday and, whilst it's region 0, it won't play because it's NTSC and not PAL.

Can I come to the rescue with my Mac? I though mmaybe I could rip it and burn it as PAL? Could anybody advise the best way to do and the software I'd need?

Cheers! :)

2. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Other than demuxing in mactheripper and re-authoring a new disc, which i don't think will make any difference, I can't think of any solution off hand.
    The problem lies with the dvd player, which should be easy to fix. Most region settings can be changed on a dvd player. Google the make and model with the phrase "region hack" and you should find something that works. Most hacks consist of opening the tray and entering a series of numbers to reset the region code on the machine.

3. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

You might be better off downloading the DVD off Bittorrent if it's available. And that would be legal since you have the original anyway I think.
    Other than that there is software that will do the conversion for you, like Discrete Cleaner. The result won't be pretty though, cos you convert from 30 frames/s to 25 frames/s so you get a drop frame every 6 frames. Makes movements not very smooth.

4. LaFouinard macrumors newbie

Toast?

I've fiddled around with Toast and when I've been burning video files to DVD it's given me the option of converting from NTSC to PAL. I don't know if it'd give you the option when copying from from one blank DVD to another but if you ripped the DVD using Handbrake in really high quality and burned it to a blank DVD-R it might work.

hope this helps