Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nuance, the company which powers Siri's speech recognition capabilities, sent an email to developers using its API today claiming the General Availability release of iOS 7 will be delivered on September 10, according to journalist Owen Williams (via TheNextWeb).

nuanceios7claim.png
It's unclear how Nuance would get this information, but it's unlikely that a company outside of Apple would have detailed information about Apple's iOS release plans.

Historically, Apple has released iOS Golden Master versions to developers on the same day as the announcement of new iPhones, giving developers time to test their apps with the final version of the new iOS before its release it to the general public a couple of days before the launch of the new iPhone.

Apple will reportedly announce the next-generation iPhone on September 10 and will likely unveil both the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost iPhone 5C. Both devices are rumored to launch in select markets on September 20.

Article Link: Nuance Developer Email Claims iOS 7 Will Launch September 10

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
My bet is on two days before the 5S/5C is released (probably Sept. 18th, with the phones of Sept. 20th).

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
It does not surprise me that big companies like this get a heads up on release data months ahead of time while indie devs are left in the dark until very last min.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Only time will tell...but I the rumors point to an iPhone 5S/5C announcement on the 10th. I wouldn't think they would release iOS 7 on the same day, they usually wait another week or two.

I'm not a developer, but based on comments by Macrumors members on the last iOS 7 article it still has alot of bugs, I wouldn't think it would be ready, but what do I know.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Tim Cook is going to have someone killed tomorrow.

Everyone who follows Apple news knows this date. So this person could be repeating it.

Not only does everyone (the fans) "know" that this is the date, they believe that Apple is going to announce new phones. But Apple actually hasn't said that yet. Rumors are a interesting thing.

(I'm just making a point. I do believe there will be a press conference that day and there will be announcements. I've already gotten my quote from Gazelle to correspond with 20th).

Gary

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
Everyone who follows Apple news knows this date. So this person could be repeating it.

Not only does everyone (the fans) "know" that this is the date, they believe that Apple is going to announce new phones. But Apple actually hasn't said that yet. Rumors are a interesting thing.

(I'm just making a point. I do believe there will be a press conference that day and there will be announcements. I've already gotten my quote from Gazelle to correspond with 20th).

Gary

You make a really good point, though. :)

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I don't want to sound pessimistic or anything but it sounds like the whole conference has been leaked and we won't get any surprises this coming Sept - Champagne colored iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iOS 7 download ready,etc.

Still gonna tune in though! The days of secrecy are long gone, although Tim Cook is trying his hardest to keep it to a minimum..

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Historically, Apple has released iOS Golden Master versions to developers on the same day as the announcement of new iPhones, giving developers time to test their apps with the final version of the new iOS before its release it to the general public a couple of days before the launch of the new iPhone.

Seems the editor didn't read the letter well, it said iOS 7 GA, which means general availability which is basically the same as GM which is gold master. So like you said before, they are a developer and they will get to play with the GM when they announce the new iPhone.

The only news here is that someone closer to apple is saying that Sept. 10 is the date to mark on our calendars :)

----------

Probably means GM.

yeap it is, GA and GM can be used to call the same thing.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
Seems the editor didn't read the letter well, it said iOS 7 GA, which means general availability which is basically the same as GM which is gold master.

yeap it is, GA and GM can be used to call the same thing.

General Availability is different than Golden Master (they have different release dates) but the GM tends to end up being the GA. There is a difference, but just on who it is made available to in order to fix any last-minute bugs.

Komentra

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
Hopefully they fixed the issues that plague the iPhone 4 version. They fixed most of the performance issues and battery issues but it still just goes crazy with some of the icons changing to different icons (particularly the calendar icon) and some of them blowing up to 3x the size. Then sometimes the home screen doesn't respond to swipes.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
It can use a bit more work. Its not ready for prime time. Between crashing,battery drain and iTunes match issues it needs a few more beta releases or the public will have a hay day. iOS 7 is great don't get me wrong it just needs more work than the next few weeks will support.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
General Availability is different than Golden Master (they have different release dates) but the GM tends to end up being the GA. There is a difference, but just on who it is made available to in order to fix any last-minute bugs.

actually apples' iOS GA is the GM, since a GA comes before a GM and apple has never made a GA then release a GM for iOS... so if someone says GA then they mean the GM for apple iOS.

EDIT: pic:
283px-Software_dev2.svg.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.