NuB says Help! OS10.2 application folder tinkered w/, now apps dont open! 10.3 coming

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dms, Jan 17, 2005.

1. dms macrumors newbie

Ok, so I used to be a MacGuru myself, I even had a Powerbook 100 once. But I dont know beans about OS X except that I like it a lot (thanks Steve!)

I got an iBook500 w/320MB memory running OS X 10.2. Yes, Im about to upgrade to 10.3. My problem is that I innocently went to the Applications folder and made some subfolders (transfering the apps to them) to organize my applications into something that made more sense for me. Big mistake!

Now, I have applications that wont open up. All sorts, at random. Moving the apps back to the original folder didnt help. I used a Install CD to boot up and fix permissions, and that seemed to maybe help some things but not others...interestingly, when I ran Disk First Aid or whatever that Apple program was, I was able to run the fix permissions part but not the repair disk part, it was dimmed out.

I sometimes get error messages, the -120 one. It means something like directory not found. Other times I get no error message, no nothing, just no application popping up. Other times I get a five digit error code, and sorry, I dont have that written down right now, but its not one I could find a reference to.

Particularly irking is that my Help Viewer program wont boot, or will boot and then crashes. Thats no Help... my other bugaboo program is Mail 1.0, but that might be because I have too much email in it....it tries to compact it to the disk or something like that (Im not much help, eh?) and then it unexpectedly quits, as the dialog box lets me know. This might not be part of it.

Every once in a great while, my Mac just spontaneously reboots itself to the Log In window. Ok, its not really a reboot, it just goes to the blank blue startup screen and then in a few seconds gives me the Log In window again.

So what should I do? Will just installing 10.3 fix everything? Will it screw things up worse? Any other ideas? Tossing preference files or something like that? A clean install was suggested, but this laptop I got from eBay and I dont have the original disks for much of the software that was on it. (They also neglected to tell me the keyboard was a hybrid English-kanji one...I have a few keys in japanese/chinese that do absolutely nothing right next to the space bar. Wierd, huh? I should post a picture for your amusement...

Well thanks gang. Im new here to Macrumors and appreciate your help! I believe I have this set up to notify me of replies to this thread, but still, if you care to, if you would be kind enough to drop me a line at dms at efn.org I would appreciate it as well. Regardless, I will check back here later. House full of kids home for the holiday...

Don
    my Mac claim to fame...my friend Dan Kottke (look him up) introduced me to his former boss/traveling buddy Steve Jobs at a Grateful Dead show at the Frost ampitheatre once in Palo Alto in the 80s, but I was young and "experimental" at the time and I dont quite remember it well...

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try just repairing permissions off of your hard drive. The CD doesn't have an updated table for what permissions are supposed to be, but the hard drive does. (Applications->Disk Utility)

And you would have to clean install 10.3... sounds like you did some major damage, because usually you can screw around with the Applications folder and nothing happens.

Did you change anything in the Library folder?

3. dms thread starter macrumors newbie

cant repair permissions off of HD, Disk Utlity is wont open! error -120 itself

well, that sounds lovely, but I cant use Disk Utility off my Hard Drive to repair the bloody permissions because it itself wont open! Error message of -120

...this parrot is dead, I tell you! No its not, its only sleeping...
    -Monty Python, which somehow parallels my problem...

Oh yeah, and I cant do a clean install of 10.3, because I dont have the installer disks for the software on this machine, I just bought the flippin thing off of eBay! dual usb iBook 500 white/snow model fyi...

I didnt mess around with no library files...whats a library file? Last time I used unix was at UC Santa Cruz on the quote timesharing system back in 1981...I mean, I generally think its a good thing that Apple went to a Mac OS X built ontop of Unix, anything to fight off the windoze world...

"In a world without walls and fences, there would be no need for Windows and Gates"

4. Bozola macrumors regular

Weird.. I just did that exact same thing this weekend .. completely rearranged my apps folder with 10 or so subfolders.. I thought it wasl cool

Arranged like this...

Apple
    Internet
    Productivity
    Photo
    Games
    Video
    Miscellaneous
    Utilities

This is especially helpful when you click and hold the applications folder in the dock.. it pops up all the folder, easy to navigate.. now I can't wait to get home from work to see if I screwed up my machine!!

5. dms thread starter macrumors newbie

Futher wierdness...

ok, so I thought, well, I dont have Disk Utility working on my hard drive. So I look for it...its not there. Not sure why. So I too the Installer CD and thought to copy it over from there to my hard drive. Done, tried to launch it. Says it is not compatable with my version of my OS! What???? I am right now (Im typing from my wife's windoze machine) running the dang Disk Utility off of the Installer CD that I rebooted my laptop from. I dont get it.

SO far it is telling me ...

that it is repairing permissions on ./private/etc/hostconfig
    ./private/var/db/netinfo

some other stuff..its finished

Now, trying to run the Verify Disk command wont work, gives me a message
    Unmount Failed...the disk "name of my hard drive" failed to unmount because it is in use. The operation has been cancelled.

What gives?oh wow, now the installer has quit due to an unexpected error (exit code 0) Please restart your computer. THis is scary, my Mac screen is showing me command lines in white against a black blank screen...ok, Im restarting...off the regular harddrive...is my Mac haunted? virused?

Well now, I have booted back up off my regular hard drive....lets see...

Ah! Its rebooted successfully and now, and now, I can run the Disk Utility that I have on my hard drive! Im repairing the disk permissions again...lets see what happens now!

well, still having some apps not opening....sigh

any ideas?

6. Bozola macrumors regular

I know this will not be of any help.. :confused: but moving apps in 10.3 like I did last weekenddid not cause any weird effects on my mac.

Good luck

7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

dms:
    Repairing permissions only works for Apple apps(but not in your home folder) and that too only if the receipts are there in /library/receipts folder. So if the previous owner of the machine has messed up with the receipts, it won't work properly.
    So first, I would say, whatever app is not opening and is not from Apple, trash it.
    You can try running fsck. To do that, restart hoding down cmd+s to enter single usr mode.
    At the prompt, write /sbin/fsck -fy and press return
    It will perform some functions and give an OK message.
    then write
    reboot and press enter.

After this you can make a new account and check if everthing is working alright.
    If not, then I guess there isn't much left to do except a reinstall which you can't do as you don't have the cd.

8. dms thread starter macrumors newbie

follow up to abishekit's suggestions...

Ok, what is fsck and what is single usr mode? Will it trash my documents under my username? Im the only user of this computer anyway. What will fsck do?

Ive had this laptop for about a half year, its only recently that its started having trouble.

I do have installer disks for 10.3, will installing it help? Or just create more problems? I am planning on upgrading but have been waiting until the problem is fixed...will this fix things?

WOuld someone please translate what Abishekit suggested? In simple-ese..>I mean, it sounds like Abishekit knows what is going on, but before I do it, just want to understand what I am doing..thanks!

Will someone explain to me all about the Home folder stuff? The new organization of folders under OS X, the users, etc, just confuses me...I went from Sys 8 to OS X overnight...

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

fsck= file system check. It is a way to check and repair file systems.
    Single user mode is something you get when you press cmd+s during reboot. It is a non-graphical interface and it gives you a command prompt before the system has fully started. It won't trash anything.

What I wanted to say about home folder is that suppose you move some app from Applications folder to your home folder. Now when you repair permissions, disk utility won't repair permissions for that app. It only checks the system folders.

Lastly if you have a cd of 10.3, you should go ahead and do a clean install. It will rebuild the file system and so would fix everything and also would be faster than 10.2.

cheers

10. dms thread starter macrumors newbie

one last question, about clean vs regular install of 10.3

Ah! Thank you for that last clarification. now, tell me, what is a clean install vs a regular one, and will a clean install mean I have to back up all my documents and applications somewhere else? Dont have any other media, drives, etc, just this laptop.

Thanks!
    Don

11. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Doing an Archive and Install off of the Panther CD will save your folders, etc.

Start into Single-User Mode
    (Hold Command+S on startup)
    type "fsck -yf" but without the quotes and keep running it until you are clean
    Then time "reboot" or "shutdown" I forget which.
    See what happens.

Do that before you reinstall the OS, just a hint.

12. dms thread starter macrumors newbie

Sigh, forgive my stupidity but...

Doing an archive and install where? how do I do an archive and install? onto what? So I gather that perhaps you are telling me that an option when I run the installer disks is to first do the archiving, and it will stick it somewhere that it will not obliterate? I have a lot of files ina number of folders...lots and lots related to my business, all saved text files, webpages, etc...

So WHY EXACTLY AM I DOING A FILE SYSTEM CHECK BEFORE I INSTALL 10.3? (which I understand is more robust and less buggy than 10.2). AND IS IT FSCK -YF OR -FY???

yall are great, thanks!