Nudist & MB or MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sierra oscar, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

Can anyone out there offer me some advice? I'm about to purchase a new Apple portable - and the only things I really need to run are Word, Endnote and NVivo (the old Nudist etc).

I'm eyeing the MB - but I'm having some last minute panicky thoughts that I will need the extra oomph of the MBP for NVivo7. I currently use a G4PPC - so my portable will be the one doing the data crunching (qualitative data).

Any experience or opinions would be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------
    ((Product info from the website))
    NVivo 7
    NVivo 7 will work on the new Intel-based Macintosh machines using the new Apple software product called "Boot Camp", which is currently in Beta and available as a free download. Apple's Boot Camp allows users to install Windows XP on a Mac and switch between both Mac and Windows operating systems.

Unfortunately, NVivo 7 will not work using Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac. This is because the latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac 7.0 emulates a Pentium II processor and NVivo 7 requires a Pentium III-compatible processor or later due to the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 component utilized.

QSR will continue to monitor any news about both Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac and Apple Boot Camp and provide further updates as these technologies continue to improve

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I have to admit, when I saw the thread title I thought you would ask which machine ran cooler on your lap..... :eek:

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Me too! :eek:

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The system requirements suggest you'll be fine with a MacBook.

5. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

thank you imeowbot - I scanned those specs - but that really meant nothing to me in interpreting the capabilities (or incapability's) of a currently configured MB running NVivo under Rosetta.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Oh, wait. From the details in your first post, I was under the impression that you wanted to run this under Windows, using Boot Camp or Parallels.

If you want to run some Mac version of this, that is another story. Rosetta doesn't do so well with computationally intensive stuff. (This only matters if you are running the old Mac version of NUD*IST)

On the other hand, if you were previously running the Windows version (isn't that all there currently is?) under Virtual PC, the MacBook running Boot Camp or Parallels will be much, much faster than your G4.

7. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

iMeowbot: I'm not currently using Nudist or NVivo on my mac machine anymore - as my uni changed to using PC's a few years ago and their respective licenses followed.

Now I'm doing a new NVivo7 refresher course next week (for use on PC's at uni) but I want my new MB or MBP to handle this when I'm doing the bulk of my work on macs (97%) away from site - (I'm sort of accepting that maybe there won't ever be a universal version of NVivo - as this product as you may know started out Mac based - I assume they won't go backwards).

I guess I'm more than a bit confused about how the intel change affects me in real terms - can I run the PC based NVivo on my new MB or MBP (or course under rosetta at this time)?

Edit: I think I've confused my language here by using the terms 'rosetta' and 'bootcamp' interchangeably, I know they are two different things - I really mean I'll be running NVivo using Bootcamp (ignore the fact I said rosetta - I wasn't aware I had accidentally done that)
    However - knowing how a copy of Nudist will run (or not run well) under Rosetta - is very valuable to me - thanks

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes. Do understand that Boot Camp only enables your Mac to run Windows XP. You still would need to acquire a copy of Windows and install it.

Yes, you would be fine. When you run Windows under Boot Camp, you are in essence running Windows on an ordinary PC (albeit a very nice one). OS X doesn't really enter the picture while Windows is running.

9. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

Same here! :p

10. sierra oscar thread starter macrumors 6502

iMeowbot: Thank you very much - this is very clear for me now - appreciate your help

Mattdell, gauchogolfer & Chaszmyr - shame on you! you thought that and came in anyway? :)

I actually entitled the thread 'Nudist' as I thought NVivo would be foreign to the Mac community - as it was primary a Mac app alone. But looking at the number of hits this post has had (as opposed to replies) - I did misjudge this - sorry to disappoint anyone who pops in thinking they will get something else - you get so use to terminology in your field - you forget that it's not as universal as you may think.

edit: considering how hot the MB and MPB's seem to run these days, I wouldn't recommend the latter thought... esp for you males... :)