Nullriver Introduces 3G/EDGE Tethering App for iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nullriver, Inc. has released NetShare onto the iTunes App Store this evening (via iPhone Alley). The $9.99 application promises to allow you to share your iPhone's network connection with your computer.
    Screenshots of the application will be included shortly.

Article Link

2. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Whoa, this was actually allowed on the App Store?

So much for fears of app discrimination by Apple.

3. macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Can a cell provider tell how the data is being used? As far as I know Rogers doesn't allow this, but would they even know or would they just see it as data usage?

4. macrumors regular

a1016neo

Hmmm... It's weird that Apple approved this App... It seems like AT&T (Not Apple) does not want tethering on the iphone...

5. macrumors 6502

Should we start the threads now about excessive AT&T bills and canceled accounts?

Also, it seems like this would've been one of those breaking the developer contract issues, seeing as they pretty much lockdown everything nonstandard.

6. macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

please tell me this works!!!

7. macrumors 68000

Watch...this will have negatives...rofl.

It's nice to know I can legally tether? Yay!

8. macrumors 6502a

well, is someone going to try it? I would only use it in emergencies where I can't get coverage like when I was in the sticks in Macon georgia and my aunt had no internet.

- James

9. macrumors 65816

kjs862

Wow this is great!

10. macrumors P6

dukebound85

isnt tethering explicitly not allowed in the contract?

i just read it and it is without a question. be prepared to pay out your ass for the kb and get cut off from att

11. macrumors member

I want this so bad, but if im going to be billed for excessive use that is just crap. we paid 200 for the phone and like 90 a month for the service (unlimited texting) and we can't tether our phone? I hope something official comes from at&t soon.

12. macrumors member

I bought it and installed it incase it gets pulled, but am going to wait and let other people test it before I use it.

13. macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm thinking that somebody at Apple screwed up by letting this through... but I'll buy it for when there isn't any WiFi around.

14. macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats sweet...but I am not paying $10.00 for it.

15. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The app crashed on launch on my iPhone 3G, but I've been having multiple apps crashing on my iPhone 3G, so it may not be the app.
    It launched successfully on my original iPhone, but unfortunately that iPhone has no service.

Note: someone else said it worked for them: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5949495&postcount=5

arn

16. macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

It's hardly worth it for those of us still with Edge iPhones, but for those with the new phones, that's amazingly good news. If I'm not mistaken, this is already allowed on many other AT&T phones, but "banned" (as it were) from the iPhone... I'm interested to see how AT&T handles the release of this application.

17. macrumors 68000

You'd rather pay the $30 a month that AT&T is currently charging?

But of course we could be paying huge fees for doing this if it's not approved by AT&T.

Someone should ask AT&T -_-.

18. macrumors 6502

I'm going to install it just because I know if I don't now, I'll be kicking myself that ONE time I need it.

ahhhh, welcome to my LIFE! :p

19. macrumors regular

actually, with rogers 6gb plan (6gb for $30 promo ATM) tethering IS allowed to my knowledge - i've asked a few CSRs... data is data on this plan, though youcant use an aircard.. whatever they're called, according ot their guidelines. This way should work nomatter whast ant not be able to tell what data is being used now, as it is using the phone as a proxy, thereby the phone is pulling teh data an relaying it to your laptop.

20. macrumors 68040

If it works, why wouldn't you pay $10 for it? Just because an app is running on a small device doesn't mean it took a small amount of work to create it.

21. macrumors P6

dukebound85

if att does allow it, isnt there a free app that does this if you jailbreak?

i really really hope att lets this be ok, i would love it esp at airports

22. macrumors 6502

There is a way to do it, but it's pretty complicated. Although looking at the posted instructions this doesn't appear much easier....

23. macrumors member

g.c.

I just added the 6GB plan today, and i believe you are correct. Although... I have a 1st generation phone right now and I have to wait until September for the 3G. I'm definitely going to buy this when I get the 3G phone. It will be well worth it.

24. macrumors newbie

Good deal.

Good value, but that is if it is accepted by att. Data for att cost 50 a month with a laptop connect, i think. OR pay 30 on top of your cell plan and get an iphone, i am seeing value.

My one problem: didn't nullriver make the installer app for the jailbreak? That dumb thing crashed, broke, and the ipod had to be restored on my friends ipod. :mad:

25. macrumors 68000

As long as ATT doesn't get (deleted), I'll jump in for $10 phht... $10 for emergency bandwidth when I am with my notebook and not around wifi?

No prob.:eek: