Num lock help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rontheancient, Jul 23, 2006.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

Im having some problems with my num lock on my last rev Powerbook. Im typing then suddenly the num lock is turned on, making me type * instead of P. Here's the catch, the green light indicator for the num lock does not light up and I have to toggle (am I using that right) the numlock key for the problem to be fixed. Happens about twice a day. Any clue as to what is causing this. FYI, this also happened before I did a erase and install of OS X.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Are you sure you're not just accidentally hitting the NumLock key on the PowerBook. I used to do that every once in a while on my 17" PowerBook.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

I set my keyboard so that I would need to press FN and NUM LOCK to turn it on/off. This happens when I type, pause for a moment, then resume.

4. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

After a trip to the local genius bar...

It seems that if I press the FN key and the Caps Lock key simulataneously, or sequentially, it will turn on num lock w/o the num lock light. The genius tried it on some MBP's and other Powerbooks and the same thing happened. I havent tried it myself yet becasue I didnt pick up the Powerbook.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Interesting...I just played around with it a bit on my PowerBook and was able to replicate it. Can't say I've ever activated it by accident though.

6. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mind if you can try FN and one of the num pad keys? Return? It always seems to happen when I accidentally press FN and one of those keys.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I can't seem to replicate it at all now...I must have had just the right touch last night with fn and caps lock to make it happen, because I'm getting proper behavior now. :confused:

8. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

Thats very wierd. Looks like I need to play around with my PowerBook when I pick it up tomorrow.