number of thread posts - saturation point ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by CelticBhoy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. CelticBhoy macrumors member

If I see a post with, say, 892 posts, then what is the point of reading it ? Even if you read it when it had fewer posts, who wants to spend the time required to catch up with the unread posts? Is there a number of posts which would cause you not to read / catch up with a thread, even if the subject matter interested you ?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'd say it depends on how far back you started to read the posts. If you have stayed with it since the beginning than I would continue to read as long as it stayed interesting. I would say on average most posts lose steam after say 300 the ones that last longer usually have a strong topic so people stay interested.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Three pages is about my limit. Any longer and I get frustrated. I feel that people post things that are already posted numerous times. Instead of me getting rude, I just stop reading it.

[​IMG]

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have the forums set up to show me 40 posts per page, so anything over the second page for a thread i have yet to get into i avoid, if its a thread that i have been active in then i try my best to keep up, but eh that doesnt always happen

5. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i agree, if you were there from the begining then it actually is quite entertaining to keep going in it, but sometimes people get sidetracked and begin talking about other things not relevant to the post anymore. :rolleyes:

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

How do you do that?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If a thread has gone beyond a couple pages before I've started reading it, it has to be a very interesting topic for me to look at it. And for most of the threads that go beyond 2 or three pages, I stop reading after a while. But I'm a more casual member here than many. 0.8 posts per day, although I've been higher than that in recent months.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

80+ Clicks for Keira. Not only is the topic uninteresting, it's post count is way higher than what any sane person would want to read. It should have been Wastelanded long ago.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

open up youer User CP, go to edit options on the right hand side, scroll down to thread options and there you go, you can set it from 5, 10, 20, 30, 40 per page or just leave it at the default, bunch of other good options to fool around with in there too

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks Lacero. It's in Community, it's been fun for those who have taken part, and isn't being spammed (anymore ;)), it's doing no harm.

With regard to long threads, well...these are forums folks, people reply to threads, if they are popular topics they get a lot of replies. No one is forcing you to read through them all. Those involved since the beginning of the topic will know what is going on. I don't see the problem :confused: Long threads are unavoidable, and if you want to be involved but have missed a lot, you'll just have to read it all! :p

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

:D :p

I'm taking bets now on the saturation point for this thread, BTW.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'll have a Pound on 13 posts.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If this makes it to a second page. :p

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's hard to set a limit on that for me. For the most part, it depends on how interested I am in the subject, as well as if I got in towards the beginning of the conversation.

Long threads often times are ongoing conversations about a topic, and don't necessarily need to be read from the beginning. Others, like threads on the new iMac when it was released, tended to be full of a ton of duplicate "best design ever" or "what the heck were they thinking" posts.

Others still, like the Keira thread, are just fun places to post comments now and then. Those who have participated get a little fun banter out of it. And you really don't need to (or want to, for that matter ;)) follow it too closely.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've been in options a few times and never saw that. Thanks a lot. You learn something new everyday.