Nutrino News, Ghost ripples....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Jun 21, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&e=2&u=/space/20050621/sc_space/ghostlyripplesinspace

Interesting read about Nutrinos, CMB (cosmic microwave background), and the effects of these elusive buggers. Turns out there are roughly 2500 nutrinos per cubic inch of space.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, with detection of neutrinos being so rare to begin with, it really is a Holy Grail of sorts. Although, I have to wonder if seeing the flash of light as a neutrinos hits a water molecule is enough info to determine anything of value from the Big Bang. I'm thinking a different approach will be needed.....and they even mention that there are no sensors available now or in the works that could do it.

Although I find it interesting, I don't know if I would want to be the one doing the searching, sounds a like a lot of waiting for the next little blip on the monitor....

D

3. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Spell neutrino correctly. It's printed 5 times in only the part of the article you quoted.

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    This article isn't talking though about finding neutrinos, its talking about how the irregularities in neutrino distribution and ripples in the neutrino distribution influenced the clumpiness of the universe near time 0 by moving smaller clumps around.

It looks though like the authors had a solution and went looking for a problem. I need to know more about astrophysics to give good answers.

5. friarbayliff macrumors regular

'Nutrino' looks like it could be a diet pill or some sort of fiber-enhancing, anti-gas supplement. Ripple effects indeed

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I sort of realize that - but they made mention of the sensors and I sort of went OT on it. I had actually started to talk about the fact that the solar system and Milky Way are constantly moving through space and that it most likely helps in finding the 'clumps' and by looking at things over time they can get a better idea of the distribution.

This is assuming that they can only observe neutrinos on the planet in a lab or facility. Have there been any studies of neutrinos in space?

D

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ha, just look what ads are coming up at the bottom of the page. you gotta love those flexible advertising things. :D

edit:
    ups, it just changed from "e=mc2 is wrong" and "there are no quarks" to "free mac mini". i found the original ads more interesting.....

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

They way we currently study v's is a little difficult to do in space, that lab in Japan is like an underground lake, not exactly something space worthy. I don't see the point in v research, and I'm a physicist by trade! Little buggers exist to meet conservation of energy/momentum and as a little part of the quark theory, it isn't like we can harness them for energy or anything.

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Or use them to see through walls. They don't interact enough to actually use them to see anything even if you could catch all the the ones that pass through something.

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Naa thats ok, don't feel like it, feel free to put me on ignore.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Can they even be created by anything here on earth, or is it all stellar and cosmic in nature?

If you could somehow create a neutrino laser..... :D

D

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

As Jared said. They exist to balance mass and momentum. They are spit out by a number of interactions. The one that comes to mind for me is a proton/electron collision.

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You couldn't make a neutrino laser for many reasons, one of which is that they intereact so poorly that you couldn't get them to bounce back and forth in a cavity. Another is that they only arise from fairly energetic interactions, like muon->electron conversions and basically anything else involving electrons being created/destroyed. A laser needs to have a metastable state (I guess if you could lump a bunch of muons in one place, but then this next part), then you need to be able to stimulate them to all give off their radiation at once (muons decay with a mean life time like radioactivty, you can't FORCE them to decay). So bottom line, we can make them on earth if we want to, but they are not useful in anyway, no idea why neutrino research is so friggin popular these days.

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Probably because you have to build such huge machines to detect them. Its the race for cool new toys, a mine is bigger and more expensive than yours thing,

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha! I was joking, actually. I was thinking of something that would be absolutely useless, since it would shoot a beam of neutrinos and it wouldn't do anything.....

But I've since done a bit of reading on the subject, and to mongo's credit found this So as a separate body of research, these guys get their own funding to play with....:D

D

16. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Wouldn't do anything?!? It would boil water if you put near infinite energy into it. Of course it would have to boil 'all' of the water since you can't direct it and it effects randomly.

17. apple2991 macrumors 6502

I think I'm just more amazed that someone could be so oblivious.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, I did say useless - it wouldn't do anything useful. And if you had infinite energy, boiling a tub of water wouldn't be a special trick and most people wouldn't be impressed even if they knew you did it neutrinos :D

D