Nvidia 5200 ultra advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aaron7e7, Aug 13, 2005.

1. aaron7e7 macrumors newbie

hello,
    i just got a Nvidia 5200 ultra video card off ebay for my G4, and i was reading the description a little closer and saw that it is pc flashed. Is this going to affect the performance any? The GPU clock speed is 350 and memory is 360. i payed $85 for it...is it going to be worth it?
    thanks

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. For one thing, you'll have to reflash it with Mac firmware for it to work in your G4. For another thing, $85 seems pretty steep for a 5200. It's really a pretty low end card. It came out in early 2003.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it will come with a mac rom, what is importent is if it's 64-bit or 128-bit, 64-bit cards are slow as molasses

4. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Is the nvidia 5200 that comes with the G5 128 bit ? thanks

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

yeah, thats a decent card, it's an ultra so the clocks are significantly higher and it has the full memory bus.

fyi: 64-bit non ultras are about as fast as a geforce 2 avoid them like the plauge, they are why most pc users bash the 5200 in the imac and G5 (now gone) because there are few 128-bit pc cards and even less ultras, the ultra is about three quarters the speed of a 9600, it only lacks pixel shaders in games like halo.

7. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

It'll be a good card, only watch out, because some of the flashed 5200's have problems with sleep when using a DVI monitor. Also, some cannot handle monitors bigger than 23" for some reason. I currently have (shuts ears to all the 64bit bashing in this thread) the FX5200 128MB (64 bit) in my Cube, and it runs well enough. The Ultra is several steps above it though, so you ought to be more than ok.

8. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i think i got really ripped off.. the guy has not answered any e-mails for the last week and the payment has already been sent off :mad: well i guess thats $84 thrown in the trash.. any one have advice on reporting people to ebay? will ebay refund my money or just say "theres nothing we can do"

9. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

If you paid by PayPal, they're usually pretty good at settling disputes, so i would file with them. Out of curiosity, what was the seller's ID?

10. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

His ID is ' tewlboy ' and he only accepted money order/ cashiers check or personal check :mad: he has mostly positive reviews so i dont know if i should hold back on reporting with ebay and giving him a bad review or what

11. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, in that case I wouldn't be too worried about this. The guy has great feedback, and since you had to mail payment, it's natural to expect some delays. If you paid by check he may also wait for it to clear, I know I would. Also, if you chose the parcel post option he has, well, that could take up to two weeks.

I wouldn't worry too much, I've bought from lots of sellers who won't reply to emails, but end up being honest. If it gets to be more than two weeks, though, then I would try to get my money back.

12. aaron7e7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright...Thanks for the advice :)