NVIDIA 7800 Graphics Cards for Powermac G5?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Thomill, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Thomill macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have been trying to determine if NVIDIA is planning on offering the 7800 series for the PowerMac G5, but have been unable to find any information on my seareches so far. Does anyone know if this is or will be the case shortly?

Thanks.
    T

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Other than Apple and nVidia who knows? We can hope! :) Hopefully Apple will allow people to purchase the card without a new Power Mac. I really wish they would allow me to buy an X850, I'd buy 1 right now if I could.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I heard on the TV that nVidia will NOT make there new cards with AGP connector, only PCI-E. So lets hope Apple will introduce PCI-e in new dual core Pwer Macs

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

ATI have said they will be doing AGP versions of their upcoming cards (due for release in 11 days). The ATI cards have one advantage over Nvidia in that they support full hardware H.264 decoding (the G7800 series are only meant to support partial H.264 decoding, e.g. they still offload a lot to the cpu). So hopefully Apple will include those ATI cards in upcoming Macs so they can play that format at a decent speed.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I don't want to see them in new Macs, I want to be able to buy 1 for my dual G5. ;)

6. Thomill thread starter macrumors newbie

Which ATI cards?

Which new ATI cards (models) are you referreding to please?

Thanks.
    T

7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The X1300, X1600 and X1800 series which are meant to be released on Wednesday the 5th October.

Here's the count down:
    http://www.ati.com/

8. Thomill thread starter macrumors newbie

Hoping for the best!

Thanks very much! Velocity = distance/time.... hmmm.... Not sure how to interpret that in the context of video cards. In any case, I have long supported ATI on the PC side for several generations despite a strong pull towards SLI. I am at the cusp of upgrading both my Mac and PC and am hoping from something good from ATI soon such as the X1800 and Crossfire, respectively. Here's to keeping our fingers crossed!

T

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Exactly!
    The problem with the H.264 codec playing 1080p movies, is that a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with GeForce 6800 Ultra (my stuff) can't cut it... :(

I hope the upcomming ATi cards will be available for Mac (maybe dual cards like the new PC / Mac 9600!) shortly. Let's hope there will also be a Retail Mac edition.... not just BTO only like the X850.

10. Earl Urly macrumors regular

From what I understand, the only nVidia chips that seem to be providing hardware acceleration for h.264 are the ones in the aluminum unibody Macbooks and MacBook Pros..

11. FRKT macrumors member

This thread is 4 years old.

12. awmazz macrumors 65816

But quite informative in hindsight - it's just wishful thinking when it comes to upgrading new graphics cards for Macs once the architecture has changed. They just don't bother so you're stuck with whatever was available at the time only.