Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

railstop

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Denver, Colorado
My 17" MBP was covered under Applecare for this. had it replaced a second time for the same issue last month. No questions, just mentioned distorted video.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I think the big problem is that there are many who have had their laptop mainboard replaced and find that it is still failing - they're replacing mainboards with faulty GPU's with new mainboads with the same faulty GPU's. The law suit should not only be against nVidia but also against Apple for supplying knowingly faulty replacement parts to their customers. Until you attack that you're only attacking half the problem.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
Wow, the day my MacBook Pro mid 2008 does not boot and has a black screen this story appears.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
i have a MBP 15" 2010 only a few months all...and recently i started getting scrambled screen in certain places in safari...is this the same thing? or is it just safari related? should i call? its only happened a few times, but very annoying

You mean when there's just garbage for a couple of seconds, like when you're creating or changing to a new tab in safari or chrome?

Thats just a bug. Try using chrome or firefox if it annoys you that much.

dcasey628

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
So I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 (not covered under the lawsuit) with an nVidia 8600M GT experiencing the same issues, haven't been able to use it in over a year and a half. Any thoughts on how to go about that one?

3runjosh

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
Mine had this problem with no video. The problem also made my motherboard go after a while and apple just said no to me. I lost a lot of respect for apple over that such an expensive machine 1 year 1 month (just outside of warranty) and it messes up. very disspointed i almost switched to pcs that day. I tried again later and still got the NO answer.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
So I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 (not covered under the lawsuit) with an nVidia 8600M GT experiencing the same issues, haven't been able to use it in over a year and a half. Any thoughts on how to go about that one?

If you haven't been able to use it in over a year and a half then why didn't you ring up Dell and use the standard warranty that came with it? seems rather stupid putting it to one side for 1 1/2 years when your standard warranty would have covered a replacement.

dcasey628

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
If you haven't been able to use it in over a year and a half then why didn't you ring up Dell and use the standard warranty that came with it? seems rather stupid putting it to one side for 1 1/2 years when your standard warranty would have covered a replacement.

It was outside the standard warranty. Warranty was 1 year, was at ~1 year 3 months when the issue occurred.

Been collecting dust ever since, and I have since switched to Apple.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I think the big problem is that there are many who have had their laptop mainboard replaced and find that it is still failing - they're replacing mainboards with faulty GPU's with new mainboads with the same faulty GPU's. The law suit should not only be against nVidia but also against Apple for supplying knowingly faulty replacement parts to their customers. Until you attack that you're only attacking half the problem.

What else were they going to replace them with? Apple' energy efficient thing relied on the architecture of the 8600Ms

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Hmm...Apple leaving NVIDIA...reason?

Problems that come from NVIDIA like these ones just help in reasoning why Apple is probably going to move all GPU-related sources to ATI. I mean, they've already switched to ATI in iMacs (at least the high-ends), eventually we will see ATI GPU's in MB and MBPs.

I want to see a Radeon 6000x series in next 15'' MBP, along with Quad-core Sandy Bridge i7!! XD

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
It was outside the standard warranty. Warranty was 1 year, was at ~1 year 3 months when the issue occurred.

Been collecting dust ever since, and I have since switched to Apple.

Probably would have been best to follow it up even if it were 3 months outside the warranty especially if it is a defect before it turns into a law suit. Maybe it is the New Zealand side of the operations but I've found them quite receptive if you have issues and need them resolved.

What else were they going to replace them with? Apple' energy efficient thing relied on the architecture of the 8600Ms

The problem with 8600M was a manufacturing defect - all Apple has to do is ask nVidia for 8600M's without the manufacturing defect. The manufacturing defect only occurred in a particular window of manufacturing - meaning that not all people were effected and it wasn't an issue relating to the 8600M architecture/design but the process of manufacturing itself. nVidia is a fabless company so it falls on the shoulders of who ever manufactures the GPU's themselves.

So please MorphingDragon, before opening your mouth get a clue on what the source of the problem is - a cool avatar doesn't some how mitigate a rampant display of ignorance.

Problems that come from NVIDIA like these ones just help in reasoning why Apple is probably going to move all GPU-related sources to ATI. I mean, they've already switched to ATI in iMacs (at least the high-ends), eventually we will see ATI GPU's in MB and MBPs.

I want to see a Radeon 6000x series in next 15'' MBP, along with Quad-core Sandy Bridge i7!! XD

There are sightings of Apple employees over at AMD so I wonder whether we'll see a move to Bulldozer CPU/GPU hybrid soon or like you said providing ATI GPU's in more products.

With that being said Apple might be looking for a 'one stop shop' when it comes to hardware; if it means they can go 100% AMD for CPU and GPU then it'll make life a lot easier than the current situation where there is the schism between Intel and nVidia. What ever the case it is great that Apple is now in the Intel world being that they're able to pick and choose between a variety of suppliers rather than being wedged into a corner.

dcasey628

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2010
Probably would have been best to follow it up even if it were 3 months outside the warranty especially if it is a defect before it turns into a law suit. Maybe it is the New Zealand side of the operations but I've found them quite receptive if you have issues and need them resolved.

Unfortunately, I did. I also got slapped with a $60 charge for them to tell me it was going to cost ~$700US to fix. At which point it got a nice back row seat on a shelf in the basement. Didn't realize I had to explain my every move as to what I did to try and settle it back 2 years ago. Was wondering how to go about it now, if I maybe have a second shot, its old hardware, but none-the-less, if its free it's for me!

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
This is good. Apple has not been consistent about repairing these at all. Sometimes you hear stories about logic boards being replaced, but sometimes you hear stories about Apple refusing to fix anything aside from the card even though it's highly likely that the defective card caused problems anyway. NVIDIA should be held liable for damage to the card and logic board on these units.

SiO2

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Still, having checked my MBP, it is in the class, and hasn't had any of the issues described, but not knowing how many of the machines are involved, there is no way of knowing what the chances of it happening are. (5%? 10%? 25%?)

this is only anecdotal, but my friend and I bought machines the same week from the same store. my board went south 3 months ago, his went yesterday.

How do I go about stressing the MacBook Pro so that I can see if the graphics card is going to die on them due to this problem?

you don't. it just up and croaks with no warning. I was playing a game when everything locked up for no reason. when I rebooted there was no video. for my friend, he shut his laptop off before going to bed. when he turned it on the next morning, no video.

SiO2

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Sometimes you hear stories about logic boards being replaced, but sometimes you hear stories about Apple refusing to fix anything aside from the card even though it's highly likely that the defective card caused problems anyway.

your info's mixed up. there is no separate "card" in these gen macbooks, it's all one big board except for the wifi and bluetooth modules. (I'm a certified tech and have opened up many). when you do a replacement, you swap the entire mobo. you can confirm this on people who've had it done because the ethernet MAC address changes.

Zapallar

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
eventually we will see ATI GPU's in MB and MBPs.

They have, back in 2007 ... the X1600 card in the initial 15" MBP are a total and utter disaster. EVERY machine with this card is slowly and steadily dying, hundreds of users allready formed usegroups, hired lawyers, etc .... and still apple is doing anything but aknowledging the issue!

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
The problem with 8600M was a manufacturing defect - all Apple has to do is ask nVidia for 8600M's without the manufacturing defect. The manufacturing defect only occurred in a particular window of manufacturing - meaning that not all people were effected and it wasn't an issue relating to the 8600M architecture/design but the process of manufacturing itself. nVidia is a fabless company so it falls on the shoulders of who ever manufactures the GPU's themselves.

Really? Because according to several places its because the architecture itself is bad.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-g84-g86-chips-overheating,6121.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-notebook-chips-overheating,5815.html

Toms Hardware (Respected Hardware Crowd) or Macintoshtoffy (Some random Kiwi bloke whom I suspect I've met before)

Hmm... decisions decisions...

Frog-thinking.jpg

So please MorphingDragon, before opening your mouth get a clue on what the source of the problem is - a cool avatar doesn't some how mitigate a rampant display of ignorance.

Please, don't be a hypocrite. Just because you have a lulzy avatar doesn't somehow mitigate a rampant display of ignorance. (Yes, I did bring it back)

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
nVidia only good for 3D Games

nVidia was completely irresponsible with this long-standing problem in manufacturing. 3D Vision is the only product that anyone needs to consider from these guys. Mac again gets a very short shrift with 3D unless you own a Mac Pro or hobby center. :mad:

acidblue

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Roswell, GA (unfortunately)
My MacBook Pro 17" exhibited that problem but Apple repaired it free of charge even though it was way out of warranty. I'm happy enough with that. Would I like a brand new MacBook Pro? Of course but not at Apple's expense, unless of course they shove it down my throat :D

Same here! (Though it was a 15"). I still remember the day I lifted the screen to open my MacBook Pro and it was blank. I rebooted several times, kept hitting the brightness keys and thought "dammit". But, I sent it in, they repaired it for free (as I was expecting a huge bill). The computer had already been out of warranty for some time. But, as an added bonus, they replaced my battery too! It said something about the battery should be holding more charge for the cycle count that was on it. That was really cool. Though, I had just bought a new one about a month before! Doh! But, this is why I pay apple for products. Most people have good experiences with their goods. Some people complain, a lot, when they have an issue. But these people really do represent the very small minority of Apple product owners. So, what if the product costs a little more (I don't see the price problem if there is quality and value). It really does add up to be less in the long run.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So I guess if apple repaired mine for free I'm unaffected? That laptop had so many problems... ugh.

Agreed. It took mine about two years before it started farting out pixels randomly across my screen. Then the logic board fried out. Got it repaired.

Two weeks later it was the top case that crapped out. Took 1 whole week for a 5 minute repair. Not complaining though, Applecare proved itself useful.

MenLoveToys

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
I had this happen 3 times to my old 17". Apple fixed it no questions asked each time, but it was still a hassle.

If Apple fixed the problems 3 times...

What did they do to your machine after the first time they fixed it?

Just saying, it's pretty hard to fix the same problem 3 times if it's done correct the first time.

John Paul

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington DC
Are there plans to extend this to Canada?

Well considering this was a class-action lawsuit filed in the US court system, it is not surprising to me that only customers from the USA could get in on it.

My guess is that a bunch of Canadian customers would have to get together an file a class-action lawsuit (or whatever name it goes by in Canada) in the Canadian court system in order to get a similar result.

Not a lawyer, so that's just a guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.