Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So no one answered my question. Since it appears that your chances of the video going out increase with age, should Apple MBP owners of these models exclude themselves from the class action lawsuit?

Perhaps there should be some notice that not saying anything and automatically becoming a member of the class that would forbid anyone suing Apple for any actions they might take in the future regarding this issue isn't a good idea.

I mean, it's an old computer but Snow Leopard still runs fine on it and I'd like to keep it around for a few more years and if Apple does not extend their generous coverage for this problem and like Murphy is my friend, the next day mine goes bad, by my reading of the class action suit I would be out the total cost of repair and would have no recourse on anyone for the problem.

Actually it sounds like I'm answering my own question here but I guess I should probably be asking if it make sense to exclude ourselves from this class?

Not that I'd want to actually sue Apple, but am I going to regret being automatically included in the class settlement? Freaking legalese...

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
The problem is, while the GPU has a possibility of going bad moreso than any of the other components (because it's faulty manufacturing), there ARE still other components to consider. Faulty ram, a blown cap on the logic board, a dead inverter, loose connections etc. All these can cause a machine to BSNP (black screen no post) as well, and after 5 years of using the same components for x hours a day, something may (or may not) give.

As far as the time frame (and i'm not a lawyer, btw ;) ), apple already provides all the provisions in the suit, and the suit doesn't specify any sort of term on how long nvideyo can be expected to be on the hook. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the suit only states that nV should be expected to provide a grand total of (1) replacement "chips" for Dell and Apple. HP Owners want/get whole nu machines.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
too bad this doesn't apply to my imac G5 whose video card went all wanked 3 years ago, but still contains programs that I want to use that don't work on leopard or intel.....

Ever think of just using a network connection from another computer to access the drives? Or you could plug the drive(s) into an external enclosure and plug them into a different computer if worse came to worse (you'd have to remove the drive from the iMac obviously).

Really? Because according to several places its because the architecture itself is bad.

I thought it was just the solder used in manufacturing. It was never clear whether they had "fixed" batches after they discovered the problem. I have a late 2008 MBP (bought in October of 2008 after the new generation came out with a different GPU at $600 off new) and knock on wood, it's been flawless for two years now with not hint of any glitches thus far so I'm hoping it has a good chip on it, but then if I'm running the CPU hard, I turn the fans up to keep the chip as cool as possible just in case.

skyrick

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
@BRLawyer,

I've some trouble with my iMac (2008) too, see my post here :
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12338139#12338139

I don't know if SC2 or a bad snow leopard update is the cause.

But I've a 8800(M) GS GPU, and the actual class action for MBP is a 8700(M).
Maybe this is the same kind of problem because the iMac & MBP components is very near, and my purchase date is the same that actual "class action nVidia" (2008).

Do you tried to connecte a external monitor at your iMac ?

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I thought it was just the solder used in manufacturing. It was never clear whether they had "fixed" batches after they discovered the problem. I have a late 2008 MBP (bought in October of 2008 after the new generation came out with a different GPU at $600 off new) and knock on wood, it's been flawless for two years now with not hint of any glitches thus far so I'm hoping it has a good chip on it, but then if I'm running the CPU hard, I turn the fans up to keep the chip as cool as possible just in case.

According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-notebook-chips-overheating,5815.html

It is a design defect - I've got more to believe from an official information release than the post made on the same website in August (his other link) which talks about an apparent 'insider'.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-notebook-chips-overheating,5815.html

It is a design defect - I've got more to believe from an official information release than the post made on the same website in August (his other link) which talks about an apparent 'insider'.

"Weak die and packaging" is kind of vague. Either way, it's unclear whether they ever fixed the problem in later batches. Die and packaging aren't design defects, they're implementation issues. It could be anything from the mix of the silicon to the wave solder used to the plastic housing. I had previously heard it was a bad solder (i.e. cold and/or weak solder joints that failed when they were heated too much and cracked, thus causing electrical signal failure on one or more pins of the chip and thus creating the distortion issues (i.e. the full output signal isn't making it to the monitor). One might assume later batches would have corrected the issue, but without some kind of polling in regards to batch age or a more definitive answer, it's hard to tell. All I know is I crank the fan up more than recommended even (i.e. I don't let the driver do it; I have SMC Fan and crank it anytime I'm doing video encoding and what not. I try to keep the case and CPU temperature under 140 degrees (usually maxes at 148 under 100% CPU load and 100% fan; without max fan it will get MUCH hotter, closer to 200 degrees Fahrenheit) and I imagine that would be much more likely to cause chip failure.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You can do that? I never thought of it... Wow! Does OSX support software RAID too? I could use my old MBP for a cheesy 'portable' server...

You don't wanna use a software raid. Software RAIDs are not really recommended for servers as they have too many drawbacks.

surfkw

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2004
again?

Had this issue back in March and apple fixed it, mind you I had applecare so it didnt really matter what the problem was. Read this lawsuit email and article last week and thought it didn't really apply to me. Now I am typing this post from my wife's computer becuase this morning I got the scrambled video, no boot up result on mine. Really? This shouldn't be happening again if it was a 'bad batch' and rather is an inherent issue. The bummer is I am out of the country and don't plan on going back to the states for at least another year so now I have to try to get it fixed down here, will it still be covered out of the country if I bought it in the US?

MacNifty

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2010
Git'r done! Apple fixed me up!

I, too, had this issue with a black screen on my MBPro Core Duo, after waking up from sleep mode. One time even no boot up after a cold start.

The Apple store replaced the motherboard with the hard-wired Nvidia GPU in no time, called me the following morning (yesterday) that it was done (although I was told it would take 3-5 business days)! And I don't have an Apple Care plan...

On a side note, I had then an odd behavior of iTunes telling me I would have now one computer less to sync my iPhone with, but after I had logged into the iTunes account, that went away, luckily. Must be the different CPU footprint. Makes me just wonder why MS Office did not complain yet...

On another side note, I had 2 weeks earlier an over-voltage spike in my battery, and they had replaced this one for free, too!

At this time, I can only appraise Apple's service (which used to be not always so accommodating in the past!).

mvs

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Kansas City
Fixed three times for graphics

Just the other day I received a card in the mail about the class action around this issue. I've had my MBP in for repairs three times with graphic issues. Yes, Apple fixed it, no charge but, I would have been happier had they replaced my MBP after the first issue. All three times it happened, I'm in the middle of production and need to wait until season is over before I can let go of my laptop for several days in a row, and it's very irritating to work with random lines on my screen. Had I been told the first time it happened, I would have asked them to replace the unit. Fixing it at no charge is nice, but full disclosure and early replacement would have been the right thing to do. It's a hassle that I don't need.

I love Apple in general and own many products. But still. And even a better reason to keep (loyal) customers confident in the brand.

hah116

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I received an email today about this class action.

I haven't been able to use my MBP in approx. 8 months due to the screen not turning on when you power on the laptop.

I took it into Apple to see how much it would cost to fix (I was 2 weeks outside my voided 3 year AppleCare coverage).

They said it would have been replaced for free because it is a known problem, but because it shows physical damage (from a parking lot incident), it would not be covered. They quoted me $600 to be sent to the depot to get everything fixed, including new casing.

I never sent it in because I had an older PowerBook that was sufficient for my current needs. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $600 to get an already 3 year old laptop fixed, or just scrap it and buy a newer one.

My question is... do you think they will agree to replace only the NVIDIA GPU without requiring me to have the rest of it fixed? It worked like a champ for over a year and a half after the physical damage incurred. Apple store tested the laptop when I took it in and the only thing that failed was the graphics card.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

RR88

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Found out about Nvidia Settlement just day late. Any ideas?

:mad:ARRRRRGGGH!

After much online searching, I discovered that the malady of my MacBook Pro qualifies it for reimbursement of repairs according to the settlement, but the only problem is that I found out about it 4 days after the deadline!!!! :mad:

I called the number on the website, and they said there was nothing they could do. I am quite frustrated because I purchased my Macbook secondhand, and I am a student so I cannot afford to pay for repairs myself right now.

Any ideas?

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
:mad:ARRRRRGGGH!

After much online searching, I discovered that the malady of my MacBook Pro qualifies it for reimbursement of repairs according to the settlement, but the only problem is that I found out about it 4 days after the deadline!!!! :mad:

I called the number on the website, and they said there was nothing they could do. I am quite frustrated because I purchased my Macbook secondhand, and I am a student so I cannot afford to pay for repairs myself right now.

Any ideas?

http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/index.html

You could take the seller to the small claims tribunal if you have one where you live.

With that being said, why didn't you ask the forum for advice before purchasing it? the forum is free of charge and you could have used it as a springboard to ask for advice.

RR88

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Thanks Mr. NomNoms. I only just discovered this forum while searching for information about the recall, and I'm glad to hear that I can ask advice about Mac issues.

I actually went to a Mac store in my city and they ran a test on it, and apparently it qualified for a free repair, and it will only take about three days! :)

I would recommend this for anyone in the same boat.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks Mr. NomNoms. I only just discovered this forum while searching for information about the recall, and I'm glad to hear that I can ask advice about Mac issues.

I actually went to a Mac store in my city and they ran a test on it, and apparently it qualified for a free repair, and it will only take about three days! :)

I would recommend this for anyone in the same boat.

From what I understand the fault is a fault with the design so in the future some time it will reappear - you might to confirm that with the store though.

Runs1320

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
Now they say 8 to 10 wks from time they rec

When this happened to me I told the manager I couldn't do without a computer and that a week to fix my machine was too long. He sold me a new MBP and refunded the full price for that machine when I showed up to pick up my old fixed machine a week later. Everything was on Apple's penny. It was terrific service. I think when Apple recognizes they are responsible, they will do everything to accommodate you, as best they can. So if you have a legitimate case, though they can't lend you a loaner, they can sell you a new machine and refund it in full later, which ends up being the same, all things considered, as if they loaned me a machine.

Now they say 8 to 10 wks from time they receive and that does not include the 12 days taht frt co. shows as recv'd date. I think they figure youll prob buy another? Who can go 10 to ? 14 wks without, and of coarse no loaners. Had to have this brand for Major in college.?????

paoloeh16

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
TS2377 issue with 2008 MBR 15

The issue happened to my 15 Inch MBR last Saturday, took it to local reseller for advise on Monday and had also contacted applecare on the same day. I received the report back the reseller that it was caused by the TS2377 issue.

Then contacted applecare today and they said there is nothing they can do and wont be able to offer to paid for the repair. It cost a total of 893 CHF.

Any advise from anyone?

Kind regards

Paolo:eek

Last edited:

wshyang

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2012
The issue happened to my 15 Inch MBR last Saturday, took it to local reseller for advise on Monday and had also contacted applecare on the same day. I received the report back the reseller that it was caused by the TS2377 issue.

Then contacted applecare today and they said there is nothing they can do and wont be able to offer to paid for the repair. It cost a total of 893 CHF.

Any advise from anyone?

Kind regards

Paolo:eek

Sadly, your only option is to buy a new Mac.

A lot of members on this forum are long APPL, so they will tell you the same too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.