Nvidia GeForce 6200

Discussion in 'Games' started by vouder17, Nov 9, 2004.

1. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

I was on the Nvidia Website yesterday and i saw that Nvidia has a new mainstream GPU, but in the 6 series. So basically the GeForce 5200 but then for the present day......
    Do you reckon that we could find this card in the Rev. B iMac G5????

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

2. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Yes the Nvidia Geforce 6200 series would be the most likely canidate for a RevisionB imac G5 and hopefully Apple will use 128MB of VRAM on the next imac revision. The imacs have used Nvidia Graphics solely at least since the launch of the first LCD imacs so I think Apple will continue that tradition. I however would hope that Apple offers the next imac revision with the 6600 series GPU especially the 6600GT.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2238

As you can see from the benchmarks the 6200 is quite a laggard when compared to mid and high end cards. Although the 6200 is PCI Express Only on the PC I see no reason why Apple could not use an AGP version of the chip or better yet switch to PCI-Express.

3. vouder17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vouder17

yeah i don't understand why apple doesn't have a greater variety of iMac's. For example you can buy a "gamer" model that would obviosly have the best graphics card and then a internet or average user and a multimedia one for burning DVD's and making movies etc. I believe that they would see alot more iMacs sold that way.
    Just what i would do if i was in Steves shoes.

DjVoTeZ

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The 6200 actually scored pretty well in that test!

I haven't seen any test that compares the new Ati X series to older cards.
    I thought the X600 pro was a bit faster than the 9600 XT?
    If thats the case, then the 6200 would be about the same speed as the 9600 pro.

If apple releases an iMac rigt after newyear with 6200 Ultra (an upclacked version) with 128 mb vram. :D (It wouldn't be a screaming gaming machine, but a decent home entertainment system...)

5. tom.96 macrumors regular

There is an interesting preview of it here http://www.hardocp.com/

It seems like a very good candidate for the imac G5 rev b, I would certainly be interested in a 128mb version.

If there is only a small speed increase in the next imac (to 2ghz) then the deal could be sweetened by a much improved graphics chip and 512 base ram. Just a thought...

6. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

The 6800 Go would be awesome for any current AIO design. It only supports the DirectX API though... Damn i hate dx domination. Sure would be nice to have the 9800m in the powerbooks or this 6800 Go (assuming they added OGL support)...

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, apple would have to go PCI-Express.

nVidia has said more than once that they have little-to-no interest in going AGP with the 6200, as the bridge they're developing for the 6800 and 6600 won't work for the 6200, and developing a new one isn't in the cards, money-wise.

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Huh? Where did you get that info from? The 6800 Go support OpenGL like any other NVIDIA card.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Edit: Never mind, what I said was completely unnecessary and uncalled for.

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

i thought ATI was big on DX and NVIDIA was all about OGL (and yet ATI is better for supporting macs than NVIDIA)
    and from what i see in the pc gaming market OGL is more popular than DX
    so whats with DX domination

11. JRM macrumors member

6800Go in an Alienware

I saw on Alienware's site that their new laptop has a 256mb 6800go in it. Could you imagine how good one of those would be in the long over due powerbook updates. One of those cards should also be able to support the 30" display as well.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

JRM: um...no it wouldn't.

the 6800 chip doesn't have built-in DDL support...that's only currently available on the mac "DDL" version, and it will be available on the 6800GT DDL, too, obviously.

Anarchy99: WAAAAY more than half of all 3d games on PC are DX. The only games that I know of that like oGL better, or at least use it primarily are:

• Quake and it's children (games using the Q3 engine, or Q1 or Q2 for that matter) like the star wars games, half life 1, etc.
    •*Doom 3 and any games they decide to make from that
    • Homeworld and HW2
    • a handful of other games.

There are some I'm probably not aware of, but by and large, big-time games are DX these days.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Nice article thanks Little Endian, looks pretty good for a cheapo card. 4 pipes, a clocked down GPU, and the same exact heat sink as my geforce3 has. Nice benches but do remember those were with a 3.6 P4 not a 1.8 G5 but anything would improve on fx5200( Yuk )