NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TheBunnellFarm, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

I have bought and am waiting to recieve a new Powermac G5 2.5 with the above graphic

I will be using a common CRT monitor and a BenQ PB 6200 Projector as a monitor also as well as DVD and Televison

Does this graphic help all or some of these or does it only benifit 3D and Game stuff like Playstation etc. and computer games.

Thanks, Tom

I hope it inhanses everything a lot.

2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

well you might consider the card as an overkill since its only a true benefit if you use 3D or off course when getting a30" cinema display:)

but its a hell of a card anyway :)

maybe you'll get better refresh rates and the possibility to use higher resolutions wich your hardware might not be able to use... and when you're using mirroring or monitor spanning you'll have more Vram for each display...

I have the 'standard' 5200 in mine (wich people refer to as ******) and since I'm only doing stuff like Photoshop and sometimes FCPro its good for my 2 monitors to run on... I'm not a gamer, and I do not use any 3D programs...

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For you it won't really make much of a difference over a 5200 I doubt, the 6800 is for two things as I see it, pushing out insane framerates for the latest 3D games, and/or pushing out enough pixels to fill the new 30" HD.

But if you're not a gamer, and you don't have a 30" screen, then the investment is pointless IMO. The 5200 would have been fine (but I'd have probably still gone with a 9600/9800 anyway).

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You'll see no benefit over the base card when your system arrives. When you upgrade to Tiger (OS X 10.4) next spring, there would be a difference between the 5200 and your card. By the time your Mac is ready to be put out to pasture (far, far in the future), the 6800 will likely still be fine for your uses, but the lower end cards would have started to really show their shortcomings.

Honestly, you didn't need the card. But it won't in any way be bad for anything except your wallet.

I think the only two "real" choices are the 9600XT and the 6800 Ultra. The 5200 isn't a good card unless you know you'll never do anything remotely taxing graphically, and the 9800XT is probably either too powerful (i.e., you'd be happy with a 9600XT) or not powerful enough (i.e., you need a 6800), depending on what you use your system for. Of the two cards, you picked the best. Should you decide to sell your system at some point, that will help.

I'm certain that you could also trade your 6800 for a 9600XT (plus, of course, some $$$) with no problem at all if you post on the marketplace here.

5. TheBunnellFarm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the really factual replies, this forum is the best thing since cheese.

I needed to know what you guys told me and each of you said it very well, I am no longer in the dark, thanks again, Tom

6. phichang macrumors newbie

ROM VERSION of 6800 Ultra

Dear sir,

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_6800ultra_review/index.html

In the above site, the card review has the rom verion of 2119 versus the the rom version of my card 2118. I just wonder what is other version of the 6800 in the market. Does the rom version made the performance difference?

By the way, how can i upgrade to the current version.

Best Regards

QUOTE=TheBunnellFarm]I have bought and am waiting to recieve a new Powermac G5 2.5 with the above graphic

I will be using a common CRT monitor and a BenQ PB 6200 Projector as a monitor also as well as DVD and Televison

Does this graphic help all or some of these or does it only benifit 3D and Game stuff like Playstation etc. and computer games.

Thanks, Tom

I hope it inhanses everything a lot.[/QUOTE]

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't know what was changed between ROM versions 2118 and 2119, but I doubt that the change was significant - things like that change frequently during the lifetime of a product line. You cannot change the ROM version of your card.

However, I am certain that future driver versions (software, which you can change) will improve the performance of your card much more than any small ROM revisions.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

In 8 years, when your G5 has gone to hell and back and Apple will release the G6 PowerBooks soon and you try to drop a PCI card in there you will say:
    "Ah, ****. Not enough room with that outdated piece of junk in there." And pull it out, toss it, and stick in there a cheap 1GB card that still works with AGP 8x while the rest of the world blazes by at AGP 2.0 32x.

Other than that, you are fine. ;)

9. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Actually 8x is the 4th iteration of the AGP spec (1x, then 2x, then 4x. then 8x). Plus the graphics world is leaving AGP behind and going for PCI Express.

Good choice on card by the way. Nice way to future proof your system for a while and if youre going to get such an expensive system, why not go for the gold with one of the most important components?