Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Half Glass

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Mine took it

My MacPro (2.66) took it just fine.

What's the difference?? I have no idea.

--HG

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Darn, got excited and thought the update make all 3rd party NVidia Card work. :rolleyes:

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I just read a post by someone on MacUpdate.com that said that after the 7300GT Firmware update, the amount of RAM being used is has shrunk by almost 50% of what it is normally! I noticed that my RAM usage on a fresh install is about 500MB on my Mac Pro but, only about 250MB on the G5 I use at work. I'm interested in finding out if it's actually the cause of all that RAM usage for nothing. Great!

Read the comment here: Apple GeForce 7300 GT Firmware Update 1.0 - MacUpdate

Edit: If you're lazy then read this below:
Taken from MacUpdate.com
"Just installed this less than thirty minutes ago, and so far no problems. On a side note, while this may not happen for others, it seems that my RAM footprint has shrunk significantly, just slightly more than half of my usual footprint."

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Firmware

Hey guys,

First off, thanks for alerting me to the firmware upgrade - I wouldn't have had a clue one was released!

Secondly, I see no difference in RAM usage.

But thanks anyway, perhaps FPS might go up?!

F

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
mine also said it wasn't needed. Oh well. My RAM usage is always up there.. but i always have a lot of apps open :D

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I installed it without any problems. I can't positively confirm that it uses less RAM, as I usually don't pay close attention to RAM usage. My recollection is that I typically saw between 700-900 MB being used before this update when running Safari plus a couple of other small apps. Right now, with no other apps running besides Safari, my Mac is using ~350 MB. So perhaps it does have a smaller RAM footprint after all.

dborod

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
ROM version

I have one of the early MacPros and my 7300 had a ROM version of 3004. With the upgrade applied my ROM version is 3008 like the newer 7300's.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
I installed it without any problems. I can't positively confirm that it uses less RAM, as I usually don't pay close attention to RAM usage. My recollection is that I typically saw between 700-900 MB being used before this update when running Safari plus a couple of other small apps. Right now, with no other apps running besides Safari, my Mac is using ~350 MB. So perhaps it does have a smaller RAM footprint after all.

Weird. I have a week 51 build (which said that the update was not required) and running safari right after booting up, i use up about 800MB. How much RAM do you have total (I have 4gig)?

cheers.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I went to apply the update (my machine was a refurbished Mac Pro from November) and I too got the message saying it was not needed. I'm not worried about it though because I haven't had any problems so far and if my computer is running fine, then I'm happy. Lemme just say, I am extremely happy with my Mac Pro. This is the most flawless Mac I've ever owned. I can't complain about anything.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I wonder if the system allocates more RAM when there is more free (a substantial portion of the allocated 800 megabytes is listed as inactive).

Cheers.

It does. The total amount of free RAM isn't the amount of RAM you have left, it's a combination of Inactive RAM and Free RAM. I'll notice that my free RAM will get very low but, there still won't be any page-outs.

briantology

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Any reason as to why I get this message when I try to install it?

"Necessary resources are missing, corrupt, or do not have the correct permissions. Delete the GeForces 7300 GT Firmware Update and re-download it and run it again."

I deleted it, re-downloaded, and I got the same message.

Hannibales

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
I've got that message aswell. I've downloaded it through Software Update and manually from Apple's site, neither work. Anyone got any ideas?

cw2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
I found out that this firmware update disables the HDCP feature of the card.

After applying the update I could no longer play HD-DVDs via DVI in Windows. (Cyberlinks HD Advisor now lists the card as digital without HDCP).

Luckily I didn't have my 2nd 7300 in my Mac Pro when I did the firmware update so a quick switch of the cards got the HD-DVDs back up an running (Cyberlinks HD Advisor lists this card as digital with HDCP).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.