nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra in G4(MDD)?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Wano, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

I want to run motion and I don't have a video card that will work. But, I just found the nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra on eBay $60 which is listed on the Motion requierment page. So, my question is...will this work in my Dual 1.25Ghz G4?
    Thanks!

2. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

No, I'm pretty sure it requires 8x AGP.

3. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

It requires an AGP Pro slot which the G4 doesn't have.

If you see a 9600 around then that can be adapted (and is a lot faster)

doc

4. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean by 'it can be adapted'? Will I need any thing extra?

Thanks!

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As I mentioned on another thread, get one of these. It's about $150. That would be the best option. You could wait a few months, see if they come down in price a little.

6. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

But, that card is not listed as one of the requiered cards to run motion....will it still work? cause i have the 64mb version.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Ah, you're right. It's not listed as compatible with Motion. I guess you're going to have to get the 9800. About $350. Ouch. The specs page does say 9800 or better recommended. Weird, because you'd think you should be able to use the 128 MB version (actually even the 64 MB should've worked too if the 5200 counts). I guess Motion is pretty stressful on the system. I bet it's worth it, but it looks like you're going to spend quite a bit to upgrade. I'd recommend a ton of RAM as well.

So to answer your question, no, the 5200 probably wouldn't work. Even if it's the Mac version. You could always e-mail Apple to find out, but I doubt a card made for the G5's AGP will work in a G4's AGP. If you can afford to waste the $60, you could try. But it might not work, and could even fry your motherboard.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Or maybe someone selling their OEM 9700 by now?
    The 9800 retail still is pretty expensive.... makes buying Motion suddenly a large burden on he wallet (eh.... strange way of putting it, but you know what I mean :p )

9. nico_rep_nico macrumors newbie

dammit apple

please let me know if you find any oem 9700's any where ive been looking for 3 days bc i have a dual 1.42 mmd and all i can find is the dvi versions of the card....

i need to run motion as well but it looks like i have to sell my mac and get a damn g5 ---- apple will be the death of me