Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 Ultra...for Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by soggywulf, May 24, 2003.

1. soggywulf macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
  2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    How about June....of 2004. :(

NVIDIA and ATI only bring some of their graphic cards over to the Mac, so I don't really know if this one will make it over. Just because it is the best card at the time doesn't mean that will make a Mac version. The best card we have is the ATI 9700, which is really good for most people.
  3. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    And ATI dont look to be releasing the 9800 anytime soon....
  4. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2002
    Radeon 9800 still kills the fx 5900 ultra. www.extremetech.com has an article showing the NVIDIA cheats on its drivers to artificially inflate benchmarks. I always liked nvidia but ATI is the better of the 2 companys right now.
  5. soggywulf thread starter macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    I still think the GeForce 5900 is better. Aside from "benchmarks cheating", it appears to be significantly better in actual games (and in the benchmarks too, from the extremetech article, even after compensating for that cheating). In almost all the comparisons I've seen, the 5900 trounces the 9800. See http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1821 for another one.

More importantly, given recent history I think it is FAR more likely to see the 5900 on the Mac soon, than the 9800. Like within a few moths of the PC release, hopefully. As opposed to a year!!

The 9700...well, sure, but it isn't going to play Doom3 all that well. :)
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    hey folks, got get my say sorry, the new 970 will be coming from ibm's fishkill plant. The Fx5900 will be coming out of the same plant and i think you will see apple using these newer cards soon. also the 9800 uses the same board as 9700 so expect to see all this in our mac world this year. This will be a very good year for mac performance.
  7. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Mac Central (Mac World) confirmed that the 9800 is coming to the Mac.

Just thought I'd let you all know.
  8. filipp macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2003
    The only time ATI would be better is when it's compared to itself... or something like that. There is no way ATI is better than nVidia. And I'm not a fan of nVidia either. Personally Matrox makes highest quality products, but it's a shame that they are quite behind in the performance race now.

Dont tell me more about ATI or I'll throw up.
  9. void macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2002
    Not here
    nVidia cheated by 24% on their 3Dmark scores, so that brings it to a little bit above the 9700, but still way below the 9800. The only thing that used to be good about nVidia was that their drivers were better than ATI's, but thats starting to change...
  10. soggywulf thread starter macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    Forget 3dmark...look at all the in-game tests! Almost all the tests are won (and some by large margins) by nvidia. I don't know where you get "way below the 9800"...

On the Mac side, my recollection is that the ATI drivers blew goats...but OTOH nvidia's don't seem all that great either (e.g. no support for FSAA, etc). Hopefully that will change for the better for both brands.