NVIDIA GT 650M Performance?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by comatose81, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Has anyone received their high-end 21.5" and tried out games on it? If so, how did it go?

I basically am looking to play some older games on it... Dragon Age: Origins, maybe Fallout 3. I assume they will do okay since the former plays pretty well on my Air using medium settings.

2. macrumors regular

The retina MacBook Pro has a 650m go look at gaming benchmarks of that, it will most likely get similar performance :)

3. macrumors 603

They should run no prob at medium/high settings at the 21.5" native resolution.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

rMBP has 1GB of RAM for the video card, right? So the performance may be slightly different.

5. macrumors regular

Does the imac have a 2gb 650m ?

6. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

512mb.

7. macrumors regular

Never mind, jeeehzz only 512 mb it may differ a little, personally I would (if money doesn't matter) upgrade to the 27" for future proofing :)

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I consider any gaming I do on this machine to be a bonus, it's not a priority for me. I'd love to get the 27" with the 680, but can't justify an extra $600 just for that (plus it would look a bit ridiculous on my desk).

Guess I'll just have to be future "proof" for everything but gaming. :(

9. macrumors regular

But it would still be adequate for what you want, and would definitely be able to play them on medium to maybe even high settings :)

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can play about 75% of the game on high settings with my Air, though the fan sounds like it is going to explode. :p

I assume with a dedicated graphics card (even a mediocre one) it will play pretty well. I won't expect any current games to play on anything better than low settings. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

11. macrumors member

I will try far cry 3 tomorrow so be patient. I dont expect any monstreous performance though

12. macrumors regular

Well if you can play them on your air, you should be fine, I couldn't find any actual benchmarks for fallout but i found this...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

Scroll to the bottom, you should get around these benchmarks on games, which is still fine, there's no point in spending unnecessary money if not needed :)

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks pretty middle-of-the-road, which I expected. I guess I'll find out... I can always return it. The 27" would just be so obnoxious in my living room... if I were to give in and buy it just for the 680, I think I'd need to see a therapist. :)

14. macrumors regular

HAHAHAHAH it is pretty big, ill be surprised if I can fit it through my door to get it into my room

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what she said...

16. macrumors regular

Hahahahhahaha