nVidia releases GeForce Go6800

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm sure there's a more informative article floating around somewhere.

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

It would be interesting to see how the Radeon 9800 Mobility matches up with this card...

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I would love to see this card appear in the G5 PowerBooks! C'mon Steve! :D

JOD8FY

4. brap macrumors 68000

Here you go.
    Yeah, 'cause we all want 3 inch thick "Laptops". I really hope this never, ever goes into a Mac laptop. What are the manufacturers thinking? It seems all development on low-consumption cards ended with the 9700M. Disgraceful...

5. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Hey, these would be a great thing for the powerbooks... and it wouldn't increase the size either. Take note that these babies run nice and cool when they're not pushing 3D apps. Now if you do... perhaps some of us consider it to be a consumation... becoming one with our powerbooks... literally - melted togather...

Seriously, stick another fan in the PB, that's all they got to do. Two vents in the rear.... a nice compact VPU cooler... that's all they gotta do. Battery life of ~5hrs will drop to ~2 though...

6. brap macrumors 68000

That was my main concern... autonomy seems to be something manufacturers are leaving behind for the notion of the "desktop replacement". 2 hours sounds pretty optimistic to me!

Considering the Tiger eyecandy, the GPU wouldn't simply be doing run-of-the-mill 2d transformations either. It's not going to make a huge difference in that there's probably some way to throttle performance back, but it's still there. I've been trying to pin down numbers for the past hour or so, but while the nvidia spec sheet shows a "6 series GPU" drawing 30w/peak 22w/power save, it doesn't mention which GPU. The Ati pages don't even offer that...

Reviews and such generally find there is a negligible difference between battery life with power full-on and in saving mode, so... shrug. I just don't like the idea of trying to shoehorn in one of the most powerhungry GPUs into a notebook with a few lip-service "enhancements".

In other news - is this a Photoshopped Lombard?

7. Quobobo macrumors member

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. There's a market for heavy desktop replacement laptops, and this would be a great chip for those. Of course you don't want it in a laptop you lug around all the time, but as time goes on I'm sure they'll develop a less power-hungry mobile chip.

If you really need portability there's still plenty of options, but I think this is great for anyone who wants an easily portable desktop (great for lan parties and the like, just not something you want to carry everyday).

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

anyone see the price on that anandtech site for the 6800 go? 1400 bucks!!