Nvidia SLI???

Discussion in 'Games' started by NtotheIzoo, May 19, 2005.

1. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

Alright...not sure if some one has posted anything on this...but...whats everyone's opinion on SLI setups...I'm going to building a PC gaming machine in a month or two and this might be an option...right now the specs of my machine are:

if SLI:
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard or ABIT MB FATALITY AN8

if no SLI:
    Asus A8VE Deluxe Motherboard or ABIT AN8 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
    Kingston 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory
    Asus GeForce 6600 GT Video Card
    2 X Seagate Barracuda ST380817AS 80GB Hard Drive (SATA)

i've left out all of the peripherals....let me know what you think of both SLI setup and my system...

keep in mind, this is mid-grade system, i have a budget.

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I don't know a lot about SLi, just the fact it is able to combine the power of two Nvidia video cards across PCI express. The numbers, however, are impressive. Check out the test done by barefeats.com when they compared the PowerMac to the Fastest Windows PCs: http://barefeats.com/mac2pc.html

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Some things to consider:

1. SLI won't provide double the performance. But still provides a nice increase.

2. Why not get the 6800 (Ultra) instead.

3. Might want to think about getting a faster AMD besides the Athlon 64 3000+ Processor. An X2 would be nice if you like to multitask.

4. The next generation of video cards will be released in August and will probably be double the current performance. ATI - R520, Nvidia - G70

5. ATI will be releasing it's own SLI option very soon, so it might be worth it to wait and see what they offer.

6. The motherboard choice sounds good. Abit has always worked really well for me.

4. brap macrumors 68000

Remember SLI is only available for games whose support Nvidia specify. SLI - scalable link interface (I think that's what they've twisted it to now), as opposed to the old 3dfx scan line interleave - isn't a blanket gain, it's dependent upon the detonator drivers. You'll get higher framerates at older-school games using a faster single card.

The 3000+ Winny is a great overclocker, and both the Asus and the Abit are good boards. Just avoid the MSI Neo4; its performance is less than stellar when pushing CPUs to their limit -- I know from personal experience :eek:

Why are you going for 2*80GB drives? Your board should support Sata2 and NCQ and all that lovely stuff - you should perhaps go the whole hog and get a 74GB raptor. The 36GB drives are fast, but lack features.

Do make sure you get a reasonable power supply. Tom's hardware guide is your friend... and for the love of all things holy, use a Lian-Li case! :cool:

5. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Hey check out the Specs on my Rig at my signature.

Dippo obviously dosen't know anything about AMD CPU's to doubt the 3000+ which i currently own. Venice core CPU's rule the Mid level CPU market. really If you are going AMD there is no real reason to spend abouve $200 on a CPU as they all are overclocking monsters. I can hit 2.7ghz on stock voltage, but I need better ram to hold it.

Dippo.......... Athlon X2's will not be availaible till fall for individual purchase.

as Fas as MB , Asus is good but DFI is king and about 100X review sites will tell u the same , it's reguarded by many as the greatest OC motherboard ever made , a Legend like thier NF2 Ultra Infinity(which i also own) , and Lanparty UT NF3 250Gb. It's just a better MB.

no need to get a 6800 Ultra (waste of money) Radeon X800XL($279) and 6600GT($169) are the best for the money. SLI is waste of money

Ram go Corsair , OCZ or G.Skill.

Newegg.com already has SATA2 drives out and they are priced the same as SATA 1. Hitachi makes them in 80GB-160GB...250GB coming soon.

well my budget of $550 got me this for an upgrade

Athlon 64 3000+(Venice)$149..OC'd @2.4ghz :D
    Leadtek 6600GT 128MB GDDR3(best GT out)$169 ...OC'd @ 575/1150
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D $131
    Creative SB Audigy2 Value(Dolby Digital EX)$59
    Zalman CNPS 7700(120mm fan) All copper heatsink $52
    OCZ MODSTREAM 520Watt PSU $106

Total $535

all prices are from www.newegg.com

P.S. You need a 24pin power connector PSU for NF4 atleast 450watts....I cannot stress this any further if you don't use an ATX 2.0 compliant PSU your rig will be unstable...and you won't get any good overclocks.

6. NtotheIzoo thread starter macrumors regular

awesome post jiggie2g...this is exactly what I was looking for...my company receives tigerdirect catalogs and just yesterday I saw the DFI lanparty boards and was wondering about them...i guess i have 1 positive review now...all the reviews i've read about amd and the 3000+ were the overclocking ability is incredible...i was told to get the venice core too...your setup is exactly what I'm looking for.....I might have to copy it...
    thanx again for the post and info...

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Ah come on, look at my sig, I have been overclocking AMD's for years.
    I just assumed that if this guy had money to blow on SLI, then he could blow extra money on a better processor.

It might be best for him to wait until the fall because new video cards will be out by then too.

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Perhaps your upgrade should have included one of those $2 newegg calculators.

9. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

he must have got the OCZ with a 'five finger discount'. And where is the RAM in that upgrade?

10. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

excuse me for adding too fast smart asses , I already have 1GB Corsair DDR3200 TCCD, I sure as hell don't need to upgrade that. Thank You.

11. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

12. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

Venice?

Where can you buy Venice core A64's? I've been having trouble finding winchesters and haven't run accross a venice yet. Sure sounds like a monster though... 2.4Ghz... isn't stock 1.8? How hot does it run (and what kind of cooling are you using?)
    Cool Beans! :p

-mcg

13. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Try newegg.com.

14. deanbo macrumors regular

SLI

I'm going to be building a PC soon too. I will be getting an SLI capable motherboard, (probably ASUS) with ATI crossfire. I'm gunning for dual X800 XT's (if they are SLI capable?), AMD processor (possibly dual core), and possibly dual SATA 160gb drives (RAID 0).

The reason I'm going for SLI is that I believe their will be some very real benefits with the appropriate processor. (Apparently SLI is a real CPU hog!)

Games are single threaded(?) meaning they don't recognise dual processors... yet.

So a dual core CPU maybe a good investment. After all Farcry is updating to 64 bits, whether upgrading to multi threaded(?) (dual processor) is any harder I do not know.